Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/)
-   Mazda 323,Mazda 626 & Mazda 929 (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-323-mazda-626-mazda-929-24/)
-   -   1998 mazda 626 - engine died while driving - no spark (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-323-mazda-626-mazda-929-24/1998-mazda-626-engine-died-while-driving-no-spark-31988/)

1998mazda626 07-18-2013 01:19 PM

1998 mazda 626 - engine died while driving - no spark

hello.i was driving my 1998 mazda 626 with little 4cyl engine and my tach all the sudden died while accelerating followed by a fairly distinct "CLICK" sound which brought my eye down to the tach in the first place.then i noticed the engine was dead and wouldn't jump start using the clutch (manual trans.)
so i pulled over and first thing was look fuses over and then check for spark before looking to see if i had fuel.
i have no spark at the coil pack,and then once towed home,i see i have no power at that 3 pronged power source (im assuming) plug either.shouldn't one of those wires have 12v with the key on?
anyway,so i discovered via reading,the crankshaft position sensor was common likelihood so i ordered one and installed it just an hour ago,and still nothing.
so i just tossed $70 away needlessly,and thought better of things,and came here.
what is my next step? how do i get power to my coil pack,at least temporarily to test it,to see if i then get spark and see if the car starts? or if i don't do this,what do i do?iv got to test first and replace parts after.the other way around is too costly lol.thanx!

please be descriptive in the part(s) i should test,as in not only their name(s) but where they are located,and how i test it/them.

1998mazda626 07-18-2013 02:05 PM

oh this is real nice guys! check this out:
Part 1 -How to Test the Coil Pack (Ford 1.9L, 2.0L).

so sure enough as i had already discovered on my own,i had no power (now i learned from this,the center wire,regardless of color) should be the constant 12v supply.so i ran out and jumped a wire to it directly and i hear 3 relays clicking under the hood.i thought oh boy! and sure enough she started right up!
called autozone and they'll take back the crank sensor for me to boot.

so some place between the relay (IGN it's the green one in power box) to my coil pack iv got a bad wire i guess.
rather than frig around (the car's a real beater anyway,im not gunna be picky) and sort that original wiring out,i'll just wire in my own aux relay and find a new trigger source under the hood someplace to power the relay to power up my coil pack and she'll work just as it always did for around $5 -10 in relay/wire/fuse holder (which iv already got on hand.)
oh.i wonder what size fuse i should put in there though? i'll try and find out,meanwhile if someone knows please post! thanks!

man if i only knew this road side,i could have had a friend/family bring me a hunk of wire,some duct tape,and wire strippers to jump power to the pack and even avoided the tow! lol.
(triple a anyway.)

tanprotege 07-18-2013 05:49 PM

What's the fuse for the original ignition circuit? I would go with that.

1998mazda626 07-18-2013 05:55 PM

30 amp.
that's just what i did.she's running like new again.:)

at first i grabbed a key on hot wire off the wiper motor,but i quickly learned this power source,though hot with key,off with key would work,also cuts out while cranking the motor over! hahaha.so of course that didn't work.so i grabbed my relay trigger lead off the cruise servo wire and she fired right up.

tanprotege 07-19-2013 10:55 AM

Can you stick around the forum a dish out technical advise?:D