Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/)
-   Intake, Headers and Exhaust (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/intake-headers-exhaust-38/)
-   -   What would you suggest for an 05 Mazda3 sp23? (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/intake-headers-exhaust-38/what-would-you-suggest-05-mazda3-sp23-8181/)

CenterShock 05-06-2007 04:42 PM

What would you suggest for an 05 Mazda3 sp23?

OK, I am new to this place and to Mazda. I have had my SP23 for a little over a week.
I would like to make a couple upgrades to get better gas mileage and some better performance.

I was thinking of upgrading intake and exhaust first. Any suggestions?

Some info that may be relevant.
My car is an automatic.
I live in central PA. We get all 4 seasons.
What sort of concerns are there with a Cold Air Intake? I hear about hydrolock as a concern. This may be a dumb question but does splashing water or snow get through the filter and cause issues or is it only a problem if the intake gets submerged?

What other things out there besides these 2 modifications will improve mpg and performance?

Thanks in advance for any help.

virgin1 05-07-2007 12:58 AM

RE: What would you suggest for an 05 Mazda3 sp23?

Hi CenterShock and welcome to the forums.
So, you bought yourself a 2005 SP23 manumatic, huh? You don't say if it's the hatch or sedan.
First of all, may I suggest that you first invest in a set of winter wheels and tires to save your fancy and exclusive SP wheels. Also a set of universal mudflaps for the front, if not the rear, so when those front tires kick up road debris it won't chip your paint. I grew up and spent most of my life in north-eastern Pa, so I know what you're in for in the winter.
Speaking of paint may I suggest that you will get more mileage investing in some paint protection than a CAI, or exhaust right now. Pro install and a good one will set you back a few hundred... which will save thousands over a new paint job.
But, on to the questions @ hand:
1. You won't see much from a CAI w/o first doing the free flow exhaust. Be forewarned, the good ones do not come cheap. I have the Vibrant system and love it. It's bold and speaks w/authority, but is not too loud so that others in the cabin cannot communicate w.each other... unless you are wot.
This is a 3 piece, 3-bolt flanged system and simply bolts together. N0 clamps and no BLOW-A-PARTS!!! (YES!!)
Another thing I like about it is that it comes complete w/a free-flow cat, which all others, that I am familair w/do not. That will cost you @ least another $80 from another manufacturer, if they even offer one. That helps take the sting out of the $600+/- price tag. Here's a short clip...
http://s94.photobucket.com/albums/l110/bbrich57/Virgin1/?action=view¤t=Virg1-Vibrant.flv
2. CAI's are ok, but if you're worried about hydrolocking perhaps it's not the best for your situation. Two ways to help solved the problem are: 1. An SRI (Short Ram Intake) that keeps the filter dry, while still drawing some outside air, may be a better choice because it is still mounted in the engine comprtment behind a shield to protect it from the hot engine air. Or 2. A pre-filter specifically designed for your chosen system will help.
One thing I've learned through reading these forums is that you don't want to"cheap out" on an intake. No eBay specials or you may end up w/more problems than you bargined for. Get one from a reputable co that has done the research and where the MAF and Baro sensors are mounted in the correct locations. And if the CAI is chosen, that they offer the correct pre-filter for it.
I hope you find these suggestion and advice helpful to your circumstances.

CenterShock 05-07-2007 10:33 AM

Hey Virgin1. Thanks for the response and the welcome. I did notice a few paint chips that could be prevented with some flaps. I will have to look into that. I have the hatch. (you can see a couple pics in the newbie section)
My buddy paints BMW's for a living so I will probably have him take care of my paint. I am looking into doing some sort of ghost flames if I can get over the little voice on my head saying to keep it stock since it is a limited edition. LOL.

virgin1 05-07-2007 12:08 PM

ORIGINAL: CenterShock
Hey Virgin1. Thanks for the response and the welcome. I did notice a few paint chips that could be prevented with some flaps. I will have to look into that. I have the hatch. (you can see a couple pics in the newbie section)
My buddy paints BMW's for a living so I will probably have him take care of my paint. I am looking into doing some sort of ghost flames if I can get over the little voice on my head saying to keep it stock since it is a limited edition. LOL.
Ghost flames? On a rice-rocket? I'd rethink that one if I wuzU. You'd definitely take some heat from us forum boys for that one. :D
Flaps are definitely not the prettiest mod, but the plain flat type will all but disappear against the darkcharcoal colorof your car. You might even have your Bud paint them the same color (the body side I mean) for a stealthier look?
Since you have a hatch, this is less important, but when you shop for an exhaust remember that the hatch is actually about 2" shorter (1.85"+/-, iirc) than the sedan. Don't let anybody BS you with the, "oh, ours fits both" routine. Your tail will stick out and you'll have fitment problems if it's designed for the sedan. Conversely the sedan ppl have a problem with melting plastic and a burning smell if it's too short.