Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/)
-   Intake, Headers and Exhaust (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/intake-headers-exhaust-38/)
-   -   Review: Vibrant Exhaust (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/intake-headers-exhaust-38/review-vibrant-exhaust-10374/)

virgin1 09-09-2007 10:26 PM

Review: Vibrant Exhaust

Many of you know me by now and that my car has the Vibrant exhaust installed on it. Here's what you may not know. I'll start with the facts as I view them:

1. I was able to install my system in an hour and a half with no instructions and by myself in my gravel driveway. This includes time to raise, lower and jack-stand the vehicle, as well asabout 15minsto locate some hardware that did not come w/the kit. (More on that later.) All in all, a very easy DIY. I would also highly recommendusing anexhaust cutting tool (a series of cutting wheels, like a pipe cutter hason a chain w/an adjustablehandle) rather than trying the hacksaw blade method. Fortunately for me, I already owned one.
2. While I expected more power from the car after the install, especially at higher RPM, what I did not expect was an additional smoothness during launch. I always had to back pedal the clutch a little for a smooth take-off and to avoid excessive slippage. Not any more.I was so surprised by this that I had to back up and try it again! A pleasant and unexpected surprise to be sure.

Pros:
1. The Vibrant is the only system that I know of that comes complete. It is not a "catback" system, but a pre-catback system as it includes a high-flow cat. An $80-100+/- savings, plus labor savings (your time/exhaust shop cost/welding) and one reason the Vibrant system costs a little more. It's worth it in this reviewers opinion.
2. The Vibrant is the only system that I know of that uses bolt-together flanges and gaskets. No blow-aparts, but can easily be disassembled as needed. All others use clamps.
3. The system is very well built and gorgeous to look at. Highly polished 304 SS throughout.
4. The welds look like they could be run over by andfreight trainand not break. Beautiful work here too.
5. Improved low-end, as well as high-rpm performance.
6. The sound is awesome. A wonderful low tone that turns into a scream at higher RPM/hard throttle. Not "ricey" and does not drone at all. And very controllable too!! With a light foot on the throttle, she'snearly as quiet as the stock system was.Get on it though and she comes to life!
7. Louder than stock so you can better hear your engine and shift points, yet quiet enough not to disturb the neighbor's (unless you want it to, orare just being stupid about it) and to carry on normal conversation while cruising. Vibrant claims an 84db sound level at full song, which makes it legal in most/all places.

Cons:
1. My system did not come w/(2) new bolts/nuts or a new gasket for the cat. They expect you to reuse the original bolts, however mine were permanently welded to the OEM cat body. I complained to them and was told that these were oversights and that they would fix these issues in future kits. I cannot verify that they have, so be prepared.
2. The tip, while it fits and aligns in the bumper cut-out perfectly,and looks great, is not of the double walled/insulated variety. Vibrant does sell these separately, however I feel that paying a premium for their system, certainly one of the most expensive on the market,there should be no question and should not have to be an option. I was looking @ the ARK system originally, which cost a little less, but comes std w/a beautiful d-w'd, insulatedtip out of the box.
3. As stated the kit came w/o any instructions or suggestion sheets. While an exhaust system is usually pretty straight-forward, this might save the average DIYer some time and guess work.
4. This last complaint is more directed towards Mazda than Vibrant: As stated, this system bolts together using (2) gasketsand (2) three-bolt flanges (not including the cat.) Some of the bolts are quite difficult to access and the exhaust heat shield has VERY sharp, jaggededges... like an exposedsaw blade. Since you must assemble and line up the system after it's under the car, blood will certainly spill. I know I lost a few knuckles on this install. That heat shield should be considered and handled likethe deadly weapon that it is.

Summary:
All-in-all, I love my system andif I had my choice to do over again I would still purchase this one. I would also highly recommend it to anyone wanting a nice, very high quality, mature sounding aftermarket exhaust on their 3.

virgin1 10-22-2007 07:41 PM

RE: Review: Vibrant Exhaust

Oh, and here's a sound clip....
http://s94.photobucket.com/albums/l1...g1-Vibrant.flv

jaimie08mazda3 10-27-2007 11:36 AM

i want the fart can on my car... NOT. no if i were to buy a exhaust system that one you have on yoru car would be the one i would get. however i like the "sport" exhaust i have on my car. dont know why but it itself sounds pretty decent

virgin1 10-27-2007 06:53 PM

The stock exhaust on my '04 was just too quiet for me. I couldn't even hear my shift points and had been known to miss a few because of it.
I didn't want obnoxious, but a nice sporty, rumble.. and I got it too, but for a price of course.

2003lx2.0 05-13-2008 03:21 PM

I don't want to sound like a noob (which I probably do) but how do you hear your shift points? I assume you mean your optimum shift point.

virgin1 05-13-2008 05:44 PM

Well, I don't know about you, but I'm not always looking at the tach. If I'm running up the R's pretty high, or trying to beat somebody Iusually do, but in day-to-day driving I listen for where I want to shift the car.

2003lx2.0 05-23-2008 07:57 AM

Most times I listen to the engine, too. Sometimes, if I'm on a long stretch of road w/ no cars around, I'll be listening to the engine and just before I shift I look to see where the revs are. If it's a clean shift, I'll remember where they are for future reference. I've only had the car for about 2 months, and I've pretty well gotten the feel for it. I guess that's what it's all about, just getting used to your car.

MaZdA3_OTWN 09-20-2010 09:02 PM

2007 Mazda3

Hey, i have an '07 hatchback GT and cant find a whole vibrant system. im not sure if im looking hard enough, but after youtube videos, they seem to sound the best. I really love my car and want it to sound great too. I was wondering 1) where you got your system at 2) if your years system will fit on my '07 3) how much was it? 4) do you have any other mods. thank you so much. Vibrant is def the way to go.:)

wsoape281 09-21-2010 04:13 AM

www.crossoverauto.com has them in stock, as far as i know. $530 catback. www.horsepowerfreaks.com has them $570 catback. they usually do free shipping, so they may work out to be cheaper. they are incredibly easy to deal with as well. last time that i bought from them, they sent my order before they took my payment.

lnwlf 09-21-2010 10:21 AM

was wondering, I own a 5 which has the same drive train as the 3, only difference is wheel base is a little over 4 inches, and over all length is a little over 4 inches as well. will these fit under my 5, or will they have to be extended?