Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/)
-   Intake, Headers and Exhaust (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/intake-headers-exhaust-38/)
-   -   intake & exhaust question (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/intake-headers-exhaust-38/intake-exhaust-question-1901/)

666mazda 01-11-2006 10:06 PM

intake & exhaust question

I just bought an AEM cold air intake and a magnaflow exhaust for my 6 its a 4 cyl and i herd the intake might suck in water and mess up my engine. any suggestions or wil that not happen? and for the exhaust i was wondering if i need special hooks to install it or will the stock ones work?

devlin311 01-12-2006 01:16 PM

RE: intake & exhaust question

Ive got a Mazda3 and was thinking about getting an AEM intake for it, but I wanted to get a bypass valve to avoid getting hydrolock, but I spoke with sales/support at AEM and they said that their bypass valve doesnt work on the intake (at least on the 3s) since there's no spot to mount the bypass valve on the intake. But Im sure there is a way to do it if you cut the pipes and make a custom fit for it. I would call AEM and double check.

666mazda 01-12-2006 08:07 PM

alright good deal bro thanks

rotorhead 01-12-2006 09:15 PM

all you need to do id cut your intake pipe about 3' from your filter and put on the bypass valve
make sure the bypass valve is the same diameter of your pipe ..

SISKANDE 06-11-2006 04:08 PM

I ran into the same thing. I bought an AEM cold air intake and it says that its "NOT TO BE USED WITH A BYPASS VALVE" So I called and it has to do with the way the air is brought in or something.....sounded like she was bullshi..ing me...

Either way, my 04 6s is still my primary car for now so I've yet to put it on. I'd definetly recommend getting an intake compatiable with a bypass valve.

87 turbo II 06-12-2006 01:26 AM

If you are worried about hydrolock make sure you mount the filter high oor that the kit has ahigh mounting point. then if you are still worried fabricate a splash shield out of a sheet o fmetal or pliable plastic. Also I reccomned (with the stock intake on) close your hood and spray water all over the hood and at different angles along each seam then let the water run off the hood as it would naturally and open your hood, if there i swater where the new filter is going, fabricate and upper splash shield as well. Hope I could have helped. :)

Tracker 06-12-2006 03:09 AM

i just put mine where the old one was, the only thing i took out/off was the stock intake, usually people who have a fear of hydrolocking is if there is alot rain around there way or if they cut a hole in the wheel well and have the filter sticking out...i did no such thing

the_gray_mazda6 06-12-2006 11:17 AM

ORIGINAL: 87 turbo II

If you are worried about hydrolock make sure you mount the filter high oor that the kit has ahigh mounting point. then if you are still worried fabricate a splash shield out of a sheet o fmetal or pliable plastic. Also I reccomned (with the stock intake on) close your hood and spray water all over the hood and at different angles along each seam then let the water run off the hood as it would naturally and open your hood, if there i swater where the new filter is going, fabricate and upper splash shield as well. Hope I could have helped. :)

that's the process that i did to ensure i didn't get water into my cai area. to take things a little bit further, i went ahead and purchased an Injen Hydroshield which beads alot of water off your filter to also help prevent hydrolocking. great invention, but you can also use a "soccer sock" or something, maybe even a pantyhose if you don't want to waste alot of money.

Tracker 06-12-2006 05:00 PM

hmmm a pantyhosed filter...i can just imagine what people reaction when you say "yeah i got a custom made pantyhose filter"....damn i need to get photoshop

the_gray_mazda6 06-13-2006 04:39 AM

haha, you don't have to say anything about the custom air filter cover. just say you have a cold air intake. that way it saves you the embarassment, or you can tell them and make it sound like you are poor as hell (maybe someone will then give you a little money for a filter cover haha).