Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/)
-   Intake, Headers and Exhaust (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/intake-headers-exhaust-38/)
-   -   cool air intakes and chips! (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/intake-headers-exhaust-38/cool-air-intakes-chips-12793/)

Fevered 02-13-2008 11:30 PM

cool air intakes and chips!

can anyone help me find a cool air intake for a 1988 mazda 323 hatchback, 1.6L SOHC???? and i also wanted to know if it will take a chip please!

virgin1 02-14-2008 05:58 AM

RE: cool air intakes and chips!

Oooo.. Most AMer's don't keep parts around for many of the older cars. They have to go where the $$$ is to maintain their businesses, and that's w/newer cars.By the time a car is 20 yrs old, as is yours, they figure (and rightfully so) that the market has all but dried up. See what I mean?

You may have to build one using universal parts. I am not that familiar w/the engine compartment of your car, but can't imagine it would be that hard to do.An exgirlfriend used to own a '92 323 HB and the engine compartment was very simple compared to today's cars. Universal intake parts are avaialble from several places online (i.e. Summit Racing) a well as your local parts store that may stock some. I know our local AutoZone has some on the shelves.

Also, an '88 was preOBDII, and while I'm not completely sure,itmay have been before OBDI too (<'96?Anybody?) It should lend itself to a piggy back chip/controller pretty well I would think. Probably better than the newer ones w/the "closed loop" circuitry. Now again, where to find one.....?
A lot of guessing, I know. ^ ^ ^

I found this online as part of a blog which you may find useful:
OBDI is not a standard. While most people refer to cars that aren't OBDII as OBDI, there were no specifications set forth as "OBDI". Cars not manufactured to OBDII spec were not required to adhere to any rules as far as the design of ECU communications. Each manufacturer was free to create there own way to 'talk' to the ECU.

Fevered 02-14-2008 12:37 PM

i dont understand the whole OBDI thing but the engine is extremely simple

virgin1 02-14-2008 02:54 PM

ORIGINAL: Fevered

i dont understand the whole OBDI thing but the engine is extremely simple

Well see! There ya' go!! Good place to start, imo.
Actually, it stands for On Board Diagnostic Interface, though most ppl think it's On Board Diagnostics series 1, or the Roman numeral I.
It is the way the ECU (central computer) controls the flow of fuel and air into the electronically fuel injected engine, or it's "tune."

As the article states, and I didn't know this until finding it either BTW, during the OBDI years, there were no legislated regulations, or standard, so each manufacturer came up with their own software and fuel "map" for a given vehicle.
OBDII is regulated and has to conform to certain standards set by the government, EPA probably.

Does that help you understand a bit better?

You might want to read up on (learn more about)your car and it's year before attempting too many mods that may actually harm the performance or reliability. Surely there are some out there that know about these older cars?