General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Source of leak in passenger footwell

Old 04-28-2019, 06:24 PM
Default Source of leak in passenger footwell

Hi, hope someone can help me.

I have a 2006 Mazda Verisa, and have been getting substantial water in the passenger foot-well.

Finally traced what I think is the source of the leak to water seeping through a sponge-like seal in the object pictured below.
It is in the center of the car under the dashboard. But I don't know what this is, looks like some kind of conduit for something.

It does not look like the seal is supposed to be watertight so I am thinking water is getting in some where under the hood and dripping down to here.

Any idea what this is and where the source of the leak could be?

Thanks

Old 04-29-2019, 01:47 PM

Bad heater core.

Old 04-29-2019, 02:57 PM

Also could be stopped up ac drain. If no coolant smell, probably ac drain.

Old 04-29-2019, 05:33 PM

Forgot to mention that the water is clean (ie not coolant) and appears after it has been raining, so pretty sure it is getting in from the outside, rather than from aircon.

Am thinking that rainwater is dripping down from the top of that conduit, so want to know what it is, and where it goes.

Old 04-29-2019, 08:59 PM
Super Moderator

With the AC running, is there a constant drip of water from the AC drain under he car? Common for these to block up. Remove the pollen filter and see if it's wet.

Old 08-03-2019, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by AllanMurrayNZ
Hi, hope someone can help me.

I have a 2006 Mazda Verisa, and have been getting substantial water in the passenger foot-well.

Finally traced what I think is the source of the leak to water seeping through a sponge-like seal in the object pictured below.
It is in the center of the car under the dashboard. But I don't know what this is, looks like some kind of conduit for something.

It does not look like the seal is supposed to be watertight so I am thinking water is getting in some where under the hood and dripping down to here.

Thanks

Visit Autoguysland to review more issues of overcharged AC system.
It maybe one of two thing heater code or evaporator drain hose. The heater core contains coolant that will feel oily and may have a green color. Water from the evaporator core will be clear with no color. To verify the type of leak, you can use the white paper to determine the fluid type to have the best solution for this issue. Hope you solve this problem.

Old 03-16-2021, 01:48 AM
Default Update?

Did you ever figure it out? I am having the same issue and don’t know how to remove that spongey thing.

Old 03-25-2021, 06:57 PM

Do you have a sunroof?

I had a similar problem with my Jeep years ago; mysterious puddle of water reappearing, soaking the carpet on the passenger floor pan.

Turned out that the drain holes in the corners of my sunroof gutter were blocked with leaves and other debris. The drains were connected to tubing that ran internally down the “A” pillars and would drain underneath the vehicle near the jack point behind the front wheels. Whenever it rained or whenever I washed the car, water would fill up the sunroof gutter area and because it couldn’t flow through the drain tube, the water level would get high enough to spill into the roof area above the headliner, flow down inside the “A” pillar (not in the tube) and drain onto the floor, getting everything behind the glove box and kick panel wet. So wet that I was convinced that the source was from one of the components under the dash.

The drain tube was so full of crud that I inserted a small tube at the top opening in the sunroof and blew the blockage right out the bottom of the car. Word of caution: don’t be tempted to use an air compressor to do this, otherwise it’ll blow the tubing off the fittings and you’ll spend your afternoon tearing into your headliner to reattach the tubing. (Don’t ask me how I know this.)

I discovered that the bottom of the tube under the vehicle terminated with a pinched-like fitting that resembled the mouthpiece of a saxophone. This design clearly contributed to the blockage. Determined to never let this happen to me ever again, I outsmarted the engineer who designed this troublesome part and I cut that bottom end off the drain tube so that it could drain freely.

I was quite proud of myself right up until the first time I got up to highway speed after my modification. At 70mph, the cabin was filled with this flute-like whistling noise that changed pitch with speed. I immediately realized what the useless piece on the bottom of that drain tube was designed to do, or in this case, prevent.

The good news: no more water problem.

Old 09-03-2021, 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by AllanMurrayNZ

Thanks

@AllanMurrayNZ

did you ever get this fixed? I have traced my leak down to the same area but I’m water tight when it rains. Mine is coming from a slow draining ac line that cannot seem to keep up with the condensation. I have lifted the car a few times to locate the drain outlet under the car but it is non accessible because of the heat shield for the catalytic converter. This seems to leave me with the only option to partially pull off exhaust to gain access to the drain hole.

has anyone else found an easier way to snake or clean out this drain line in older verisa and Demio cars? @Brittany Gaines

any updates would be great from @Brittany Gaines or @AllanMurrayNZ

thanks

Old 12-31-2023, 02:22 PM
Default Plumbers Putty

Hi, I had the same issue with my Mazda Demio. I used plumbers putty to completely seal up the area over the spongy material. I sealed from the solid plastic to the metal and it does the trick.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Source of leak in passenger footwell