General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Lantis radiator

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 08:22 PM
Banned
Default Lantis radiator

need to delete this thread thanks

Last edited by sugarpie; 04-13-2012 at 09:21 PM. Reason: please delete this thread
Old 05-18-2011, 11:46 PM

Same bloody problem on my Lantis 1993!!
Cannot locate the drain plug OR bottom hose!
What was your solution if I may ask?

Old 05-20-2011, 09:17 AM
Default Answered!

Ok, soooo anyone looking for it... It is well hidden! I called some brilliant fella down at. Mazda dealers service center. He described it and it was exactly where he said it was.
If you are standing in front of your lantis, get down and look between the 'fake' fog light in the front and you will see a small screw plug. Manuver a Phillips head in there, unscrew and BOOM! coolant pours out!
God I hope people with the same problem see this as it is no where else on the Internet!!!!
-love sione

Old 01-19-2012, 06:58 PM

Wow seriously? I called up the Mazda repair centre and they described it to me in 2 mins.. it was helpful.
Ok so first of all you don't look under the car.. you look in between the headlights in the small headlights in the front of the car. Second it's small and black and on the left hand side. That's all I've really got for ya. Good luck.
P.S maybe you should call your nearest Mazda dealer's repair shop and have them describe it to you? Tell them you're just doing some general maintenance and you would like to know. They should help you out.. it's their product!

Old 04-11-2012, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by sugarpie
Right - I've been underneath this bloody Lantis, I've looked at it from every conceivable angle, and I can't find anything even remotely resembling a drain plug. Nothing, nyet, bupkiss, nada, zilch, nought, nowt. There are pipes, lord there are lots of pipes, but there is no drain plug!!!! Unless it's invisible, or perhaps the Lantis was developed and produced by Bastards Inc to really frustrate, annoy and generally **** off any normal, rational human being. AAARRRGGGGHHHHHH
A few comments:
  • Most folks here, myself included, have no freakin' idea what a Lantis is much less how to drain the radiator
  • Your most recent post says you were under the car
  • The most recent post from Sibroni indicates you should NOT be under the car but should approach it from the left side of the front of the car near one of the lights

Old 04-11-2012, 08:18 AM
Super Moderator

Is this the car in question... also known as the 323F?

Mazda Lantis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
From the article: 'The name Lantis is created from the Latin phrase "Latens Curtis", which roughly translates as "To secretly shorten".'

Being in/from the United States (both of you appear to be from New Zealand) its true that I have only seen these in pictures. They were never imprted to us.
However the car has got a pointed nose so its not surprising its got a squat radiator that's harder than usual the reach.
Cool looking car though. I like it!!

Last edited by virgin1; 04-11-2012 at 08:20 AM.
Old 04-12-2012, 06:49 AM
Super Moderator

As I see it, you have the car and by your own admission the car need service.
You've got three choices.
1) Take the front end apart to find what you are looking for and familiarize yourself with the rest of what's under there. (I'd take some digital pictures to save for future reference.)
2) Take the car to a professional and have the work done for you.
3) Sell the car.

There are many cars out there that are hard to work on, most are small, tight sports based cars. Ever worked on a mid-engined Porsche (914, or Boxster?) Have you ever worked on an old British sports car? (I still have a few scars from trying to work under the dashboard of several MG's.)
Compromises have to be made sometimes based on what the intended use of the car is. You have a sporty little Mazda which is not the same as owning an American built pick-up truck, where the engine compartment is usually big enough to take a short nap in comfortably.

Now stop wanking and pull out some wrenches! And don't forget the camera.

Old 04-22-2012, 08:22 AM

If you are standing in front of your lantis, get down and look between the 'fake' fog light in the front and you will see a small screw plug.

Old 04-22-2012, 11:09 AM
Super Moderator

(SPAMMERfrom India?) ^^^^