Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/general-tech-6/)
-   -   Mazda Ranger 3.0L engine swap (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/general-tech-6/mazda-ranger-3-0l-engine-swap-37802/)

Sbishop 01-29-2017 08:01 PM

Mazda Ranger 3.0L engine swap

I have the opportunity to buy a 1998 4x4 Mazda B3000 with a blown engine for a good price. I have a beat up, rusted out 1993 Ranger with a good 3.0L engine. Does anyone know with any certainty if the Ranger engine will work in the Mazda? If it will work, do I need to use the Ranger computer?

Kelly Horton 07-20-2017 08:59 PM

I have the same truck with a seized engine. Can I use a Ranger engine as a replacement. It has a column shift. Thank you for any advice in this area.

Sbishop 07-20-2017 09:33 PM

Engine swap

i did buy the truck. My 93 engine would not work. Compatibility runs from 93 to 97 and 98 to 2001. My Mazda is a 98. I found an engine from a 01 ranger and it worked fine. Had to use the motor mounts and exhaust manifolds from old engine because the donor engine was from a 2wd and my Mazda is 4x4. Also had to use the fuel injectors and a couple of sensors from the blown engine because the connectors didn't match. Check the 8th digit of the vin number. It will either be a U or a V. Make sure they match. It will make things much easier on you. If the transmissions are different, you will have to use the flywheel from the original engine as well and use the original PCM (computer). Also, you cannot switch from a 3.0 to a 4.0 and vice versa easily. You'd have to change transmission, computer and everything. Keep same engine size. Good luck.

Kelly Horton 12-28-2017 07:21 PM

Engine in but a couple of issues.

I did find a 98 Ford Ranger truck with a U code in the VIN. It has 60k less miles on it than the Mazda engine. Only paid $250 for it too. It would not pass NY inspection so I know it would not pass my PA inspection. Anyway back to the engine. The donor engine had a manual transmission and my Mazda has an automatic transmission. I swapped engines and it would not start. I finally found a broken cam position sensor broken off during the installation. I got that fixed but have an issue with a 16 cavity connector on the passenger side of the engine. The plug has the guide rails and clip in the opposite configuration. I do have the harness from the donor transmission that will clip in. Is there a way to use this plug in the Mazda engine? Thanks for the help so far. I have had fun changing this motor. It isn't like I have to get it fixed immediately, so working on it when I feel like it has been somewhere between frustration and fun at the same time. I did get back about $90 from the donor truck so far. With it being winter now, there may be an accident and the need for the body parts I have available on Craig's List.

Sbishop 12-29-2017 07:49 AM

I'm not sure why the connectors would be different if they are both the same year truck. Should be the same. Even with the different transmissions, the PCM is the same, just with different software loaded for the specified transmission. Sounds like you will have to use the harness from the original truck instead of the donor. You did change the flywheel didn't you?

Kelly Horton 01-25-2018 11:23 AM

Sbishop,

Thank you for all the help so far. The truck update is that I changed the harness and have the engine running. You were correct that the engine runs using either computer. I do have two other little issues and I hope you can help me just a little bit more. I put the truck into gear and it does not do anything. I checked the transmission fluid level and the level says it is full. I know this is not true since a good amount of fluid was on the garage floor. I tried shifting in all of the gears but nothing. when I pulled the engine out, it slid out of the bell housing and the spline. I then removed the torque converter (4 bolts) and Started plate (6 bolts) and placed on the donor engine. I then replaced the engine. Did I do something wrong? The other issue is that the alternator is only putting out 10.5 V. I will replace with the alternator from the old engine.
Thanks again for the help. It is rather cold outside so I have put the engine work on hold until the weather warms up a little. Perhaps tomorrow or this week-end. I am so close to the end of this project. My son is eager to get his truck on the road. Kelly Horton

Sbishop 01-25-2018 11:48 AM

I don't know much about transmissions. I'm just learning all this myself. I would check the linkage on the transmission. If you know the trans fluid is low, I would definitely correct the level. The truck has to be running to get an accurate reading. Switching the alternator to a known good one should correct that problem.

grim_reaper 01-26-2018 05:39 AM

More than likely you haven't fitted the torque converter onto the transmission properly & destroyed the oil pump.

Kelly Horton 03-06-2018 06:25 PM

grim_reaper,

Any advice on how I should proceed? If the oil pump is destroyed.. now what? What is the proper way to fit the torque converter onto the transmission properly? Thanks.