General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Oil drain cap/plug fell out after dealer oil change

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2017, 07:59 PM
Default Oil drain cap/plug fell out after dealer oil change

Hi, while I was driving my 2014 Mazda 2 on an interstate, I heard a loud sound and almost immediately the engine warning light came on. I pulled over to the side of the road as quickly as I could and had to have the car towed to an independent mechanic. After looking at the under of the car, they noticed the oil drain plug was completely missing, no oil obviously, and no signs of any damage. He said in his opinion the oil drain cap was not screwed on tightly during the last oil change at the dealership and over time, it became more loose and just fell out. My last oil change was 2 months ago. But nobody to my knowledge has touched my car since then. Although the independent mechanic put new oil in the car with a new oil drain cap, the car still won't start and is making strange sounds. So he and I am are concerned about permanent damage to the engine from lack of oil and that I may need a new engine. My insurance won't cover me since they are saying the oil leaked because of faulty workmanship. I have had the car towed to the dealership that did the oil change and they will inform mr of what they find when they look at the engine. So far they are very cooperative with giving me a loaner car. But I am concerned that since the oil change was 2 months ago, they will fight me if an engine replacement is needed and/or serious damage was done. I bought this car from this dealership and have always taken it to them for any maintenance and regular oil changes, even though there are several dealerships closer to my home. I am a good customer and I loved my Mazda 2, it was a very reliable car. My question is, has anybody else experienced or heard of this and does anybody have any advice if serious damage to my car has been done and the dealership refuses to take responsibility? I am hoping for the best but am nervous and anxious. Many thanks in advance