General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Engine Stall/Transmission Problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2015, 06:31 PM
Default Engine Stall/Transmission Problems

Hey everyone, I'm new to these forums because I'm desperate for an answer. I own an 04 6s automatic, and I've been having worrying issues with my engine and transmission. I bought the car with 114K on and only have put 2K on it so far.

Two days ago, I was coming off a freeway on an exit ramp and had just stopped, about to make a right turn, when my engine cut out completely. I noticed it did this right after dropping into 1st gear. So I put the car in park, turn the ignition off, and turn it on again. The crank was sluggish and noticeably longer than usual and after turning over, the engine sounded sort of like a truck, especially in D and R.

I got to my apartment alright and pulled into a parking spot. Put it into R to adjust in a spot and the engine cut out again. So I put it in park again, turned ignition off and on again, (extremely sluggish start) parked the car and turned it off. I scheduled a service appointment the next day to try and figure out the problem but they couldn't find anything. They said most likely my gas was contaminated and I should just burn my tank and then use either a different octane gas or just find another unleaded kind to use. I had my transmission fluid flushed and changed just to make sure that was cleared up. It was getting burnt anyways.

So then I drive the car off the service lot, take it around town for a test, then take it on the highway to test the transmission when passing. That all went smooth. But then I get off on another exit, and as my car drops down into 1st gear, the engine cuts out AGAIN. So I put the car in park, turn the ignition off, and turn it on again. Sluggish start, but I get back home again.

Each time after starting the car after it dies, the engine sounds gravelly and truck-like. I've noticed the sound comes from the top part of the engine, around the cylinders. Also, (the tech at the shop mentioned this) the exhaust smells noticeably worse than it should.

So the the three main things are the car dies when downshifting from high speeds, the crank is extremely sluggish, and the engine sounds rougher and gravelly after starting back up again.

I'm really stressing about this. I'm about to call a reputable service shop to completely diagnose this problem, even if it means big bucks. Does anyone have a good idea of what's going on?