General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Anti-theft light with engine sputter while driving

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 08:06 AM
Default Anti-theft light with engine sputter while driving

05 Tribute v-6 4wd 75k
Around 2 months ago, after 5 or 10 minutes of driving the anti theft light came on briefly and the engine stuttered. It didnt stall completely, but came close. We drove a bit more and stopped at a gas station to fill up. After 10 to 15 min. of driving it done the same thing again. I kept on driving and done fine the rest of the 3 hr. trip home and has been fine ever since then, until yesterday. there was a frost so i let it run for about 10 min. for my wife and on her way to work the light came on and it sputtered for longer than the first time.

Any ideas on what to check out so it doesnt leave us stranded somewhere? Is there a way to disable it so it cant shut the engine down? or a way we can install a hidden switch to bypass it if it wont start sometime like on older car alarms? I would rather fix it right though.

Old 10-20-2009, 11:44 AM

I just went and checked for codes and it had a B1601 - (unprogrammed PATS key) It didnt show details on when the code was thrown so it could be an old code. Last time codes were cleared were over 13k miles ago, and we have just put 8k on it. That leaves a 5k mile window for someone else to have put a bum key in it. We bought it in May with only one key.

Im not sure now after reading this:
Once the engine runs for one second, PATS CANNOT disable the engine. Running stalls are not PATS related issues.
http://www.motorcraftservice.com/vdi...ts_job_aid.pdf

I'm also assuming that its the same system thats on the fords. Would it cause it to stumble or almost stall??

Any ideas on this one?
Thanks

Old 10-20-2009, 03:09 PM

What is going on with this forum, Suirebit did you gave up?!
Common people

Old 11-18-2009, 07:44 PM

find manufacturer nof device and contact them . Or see a Mazda dealer. Ask mazda mechanics questions. I call dealer alot , if I get bogged down trying to find an answer
to a problem. good luck

Old 12-21-2009, 08:05 AM

I'm still having this problem and its getting more frequent now that it has gotten colder. I took it to the dealer and they said all that would trip that code is a bad key but it still does it with the new key. Is there anything else I can check? loose connection? its never totally quit or gave me trouble starting. What components are tied into this system?

Originally Posted by copierman
find manufacturer nof device and contact them . Or see a Mazda dealer. Ask mazda mechanics questions. I call dealer alot , if I get bogged down trying to find an answer
to a problem. good luck