General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2019 CX-5 Bluetooth with 2 Phones

Old 03-18-2019, 07:01 PM
Default 2019 CX-5 Bluetooth with 2 Phones

My wife and I are in the car together and I want to change which phone is connected to BlueTooth. The only way I found to do this is tedious:
Go to Main Menu (voice command available)
Go to Settings Menu (voice command available here but not beyond this point)
Go to the Devices heading
Press BlueTooth
Scroll down and press the other phone

Is there a quicker way or a voice activated way to accomplish this task?

Old 03-19-2019, 02:44 AM
Super Moderator

Just turn the bluetooth off on the phone you don't want to connect.

Old 03-19-2019, 04:17 AM

Agreed, that would work. Unfortunately I've done that before to avoid conflicts with shared headphones only to have my wife complain the next day that her phone wouldn't work in her car. Obviously I forgot to turn her Bluetooth back on. (Grounds for divorce in Florida).

I'm spoiled by our Subaru that has a button labeled "Change User Device" (or something like that) only one screen below the Main Menu. Making the change while driving in the CX-5 requires many strokes of the Commander Switch to reach the Devices sub-menu from the Settings Menu. Voice commands don't work at that level.

Old 03-20-2019, 10:01 AM

The option to change the phone connected is also in the phone menu. I have found this to be a quicker way to get to it. I think the process is Main menu > Phone option in the center > Scroll down to set-up at the bottom > select Bluetooth at the top and select the phone to connect. I have one phone set to be used for the phone and another to be set for audio. The set-up is carried over the next time I get in the car as long as both phones are in the car when I start up. If not, it connects both phone and audio to whichever phone is in the car at the time.

I believe this is the sequence on my 2015 Mazda 3. I am not near the car so I cannot confirm.

I wish there was a way to connect to both phones at the same time. It is frustrating when I get a call on the phone not connected and I am the only one in the car.

Old 03-20-2019, 10:46 AM
Smile

Thank you, that's it.

Go to Main Menu (voice command available)
Go to Communication Menu (voice command available)
Scroll down and press Settings (voice command available)
Press Bluetooth
Scroll down and change phones

Far fewer keystrokes. I had not previously noticed the Settings line on the Communication sub menu. It's at the bottom of the list, just out of sight on the monitor until you scroll all of the way down.

I believe it may be possible to connect two phones on the 2019. When you enter the Bluetooth menu and select a phone you are presented with 3 choices:
Phone and Audio
Phone Only
Audio Only
I always choose Phone and Audio but I suppose if I were to choose Phone Only then a second phone should be able to be connected as Audio Only. Not exactly what you were looking for but it is a choice I had not seen before in other cars. This also suggests that connecting a third phone would not be possible.

Old 03-20-2019, 01:17 PM

Great. Happy to help. That method is so easy that I don't have to look at the screen until the final step. I was extremely frustrated with the other method of moving down the row of options to get to device.

The setting works great for me most of the time. I listen to podcasts on my work phone and make calls on my personal phone 90% of the time.

If you set your phone to audio over the weekend, when she gets in Monday and your phone is not in the car, both phone and audio should be re-set to her phone.