General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1980 GLC hatchback flickering warning lights

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 03:47 PM
Default 1980 GLC hatchback flickering warning lights

Hello, Im new to this forum, but very grateful to have found it. I recently bought a beautiful little 1980 glc from the cars original owner. Its in great shape...except for this weird flickering of the engine warning lights..the overheated exhaust light and gen light start to flicker when i accelerate...and make a strange clicking sound that seems to come from the front of the engine. I have taken the car to the mechanic twice and each time the flickering didnt happen while mechanic was in car. It doesnt happen all the time just at random. If i turn a turn signal on the flickering stops. also this problem started after i had a headlight replaced, before that it never did this flickering buisness, the previous owner said it never did it when he had it, the car runs great, never over heats, has great power but bad gas milage, 15 mpg, can anyone help me with this problem its driving me crazy!!!

Old 05-14-2009, 07:58 PM

Sounds like it needs a voltage regulator. It is external from the altenator. The exhaust overheat sensor is under the carpet above the converter,it is tied into the ignition syatem so the 15 mpg could be caused by the sensor but i have seen a ton of those with the spray pump bore completely worn out requiring a new carb to fix. If the bore is worn out raw fuel will bypass it explaining the poor fuel mileage and the exhaust overheat light.

Old 05-15-2009, 12:53 PM

Maybe: Get your guy to check your main chassis and engine block ground connections.
The poor engine block grounding especially often shows up when you accelerate and decelerate because that makes the engine rock to and fro on its mountings. The attachment bolts have to be treated with release oil, loosened, and given a really good cleanup (one of those little brass- bristled suede brushes is good for this).
Then make absolutely sure everything is tightened up again, and try test driving with lots of accelerating and decelerating over a section of road that used to provoke those symptoms and see what happens; keep in touch.