Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

What's wrong with the Audio

Old 02-18-2010, 12:37 AM
Default What's wrong with the Audio

Mazda 2003 Protege 5

Yesterday, I turn on the car engin and found something was missing...Sounds...
My car's audio can not be turn on any more....(no matter how I press the power button....it seems no power at all...no FM, AM, CD...nothing!)

I've already had a friend to check the fuss for me, but the fuss is good.

Is anybody know what's wrong with the Audio? Is the audio dead?
I want to know if there is any thing I can do to diagnose the problem first by myself? How should I do it? Pleaseh help me....

It is so odd that driving a car without any music.... driving is not fun any more...:'(

Old 02-18-2010, 08:11 AM
Super Moderator

I would pull the head unit (radio) and make sure you have power @ the plug first. If you do then you know its the radio itself.
Sometimes there is another fuse @ the HU or even inside it that needs attention.
You, or your friend, can always take off the cover to see what's in there. Either way, some detective work is going to be required.
Is it the factory stereo, or has someone added and aftermarket HU?

Old 02-18-2010, 08:46 PM

Hi Virgin1, thank you so much for the quick response.
Mine is factory stereo. How do I pull the audio? You mentioned about the cover, do you mean the fuse box where is under the steering wheel?

Old 02-19-2010, 04:31 AM
Super Moderator

As with any non-working electrical component, you want to start from either the beginning where the power/ground come from, or the end, where the the non-working componant is.
So what I am suggesting is to remove the radio and with the key in the ACC position, make sure you have power at the radio plug. You can do this in a number of ways, a volt-ohm meter or just a bulb with a lead of wire on it will work too.
If you establish you have power there, then its got to be the radio itself, so you may want to remove its cover to see if anything inside is obviously amiss. Or as I suggested before, if there is a second fuse on or in the radio itself.
Pulling the radio is usually not that hard, though I am not personally familiar w/the P series cars.
Often it simply involves unsnapping (or unscrewing) a plastic piece, usually a surround of some kind, and a few phillips headed screws or bolts. Then just pull until the unit comes out. Then you can disconnect the wiring harness from it.