Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

DVD-R Compatibility

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 10:41 PM
Default DVD-R Compatibility

My kids destroy DVD's. So, I back up the original and burn a copy for the car.
I have one DVD-R that I burned some time ago that works just fine. However, I tried to burn an new one, and the BOSE System in my CX-9 does not like the copied DVD. I've tried both the Vista DVD creation tool as well as DeepBurner. Neither work.

Can anyone tell me why one might work and another doesn't? Is there a process that I can follow that will ensure that the backed up DVD will work in the Bose DVD system in the '08 CX-9?

Thank you.

Old 06-22-2009, 06:31 PM
Default RESOLVED. Here is the solution.

Ok, for anyone who is interested in playing DVD backups, or for that matter, a DVD that does not seem to want to play in your vehicle, or any DVD player.... here you go:

- Every DVD manufactured has a Region Code (RC) encrypted into it. The manufacturers do this to help prevent cross-boarder selling, and minimize pirating.

- Many DVD players look for a "matching" Region Code. So if the player is made for USA, then it may look for a USA Region Code. If the disk does not have a USA Region Code, it may not play it.

This was my case. I had a USA vehicle with Canadian Region Codes on some of my disk. I live in Canada, and imported my CX-9 from USA.

So, here is the FREE solution.

1) You can download a simple utility from http://www.dvdidle.com called Free DVD. You direct the software to your VOB directory. It searches for RC encryption and removes it. You can then burn the cleaned files to a fresh disk.

2) Alternatively, you can download DVDfab 6 from http://www.dvdidle.com. I used to use a combination of software (DVDShrink, DVDDecrypter and Deepburner) to get all my work done. But, DVDfab does it all in one application. It allowes you to back up just the main move (or not), remove all protection and codes, and then burn back to disk. I have now removed all my old applications and just use DVDfab. Best of all - it's free.

Just in case you're wondering, I'm just a normal guy. I have no affiliation with these products. They really do work, and I am so pleased that I found the solution.

Now, I keep the original DVD in my library, and burn copies. If the kids destroy the disk, I just burn another. I wish I had discovered this before I purchased my THIRD copy of Toy Story.