Wheels, Tires and other Exterior Talk about your rims, body kits, and other exterior mods here.

OEM roof rack - noise & Yakima Windjammer

Old 07-13-2012, 04:24 PM
Default OEM roof rack - noise & Yakima Windjammer

Hi,

I have a 2012 Mazda5 with an OEM roof rack. Unfortunately, the roof rack makes a whistle noise, which is quite loud when the sunroof is open (it's not an issue when the sunroof is closed). I wonder if any know knows if Yakima Windjammer would fit on Mazda's OEM roof rack?

Yakima Racks & Carriers › Shop › Rack Systems › Naked Roof › WindJammer

Old 07-13-2012, 05:15 PM
Banned
Lightbulb Search

Save yourself some money. Found this from doing a search on this forum:

The roof rack I bought from a mazda dealer came with 4 pieces of cheap plastic that fits onto the crossbars. Place all 4 pieces of plastic on the front crossbar and aim the lip up and to the rear of car. This will completely erase the whistling noise.

Make sure that the crossrails were not accidently installed backwards which would definitely give you some excessive wind noise.

He tried putting vasoline on the rear rack and on the fittings and he drove around at a good speed and the sound was gone. The vasoline gels and when it rained it still stayed on, so no more noise------TRY SILICONE.

Take a thin utility cord/rope. Tie it to one end of the front crossbar and wrap it repeatedly around the crossbar to the other end of the front crossbar (spaced about an inch or so per loop) where you tie it tight. Can disrupt the airflow enough to break the noise - basically got rid of all of the noise from my rack. I used a 10 foot cord which cost $1.60.

Attached Thumbnails OEM roof rack - noise & Yakima Windjammer-justsimple.jpg   OEM roof rack - noise & Yakima Windjammer-plywood.jpg