Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. ALMOST anything goes.

9 Worst Brands of Gas in The United States

Old 01-14-2024, 11:09 AM
Default 9 Worst Brands of Gas in The United States

An interesting yet informative article which many aspects have been suggest in this forum to members often times to help with issues with their Mazda (as well any other gasoline engine). I highlighted the more important parts which maybe considered IMHO but also based on decades of experience.

These Are the 9 Worst Brands of Gas in The United States

These Are the 9 Worst Brands of Gas in The United States (msn.com)Misconceptions About Gasoline

These facts from The Wall Street Journal paint a rosy picture. But the world of gasoline is full of misconceptions, particularly regarding octane ratings. Many consumers equate higher octane levels with better fuel quality, which is a common misunderstanding.

Octane rating is essentially a measure of how well the fuel can prevent engine knocking, not a direct indicator of its overall quality. This misconception leads many to choose premium gasoline unnecessarily, overlooking other crucial aspects of fuel quality.

What Is Octane Rating?

Octane rating, a term every car owner comes across, is crucial in determining the right fuel for your vehicle. It's a measure of a gasoline's ability to resist engine knocking or pinging during combustion.

The ratings — typically 87 (regular), 89 (mid-grade), and 93 (premium) — should be matched with your vehicle's requirements. Most cars are designed to run efficiently on regular 87-octane gasoline, making it unnecessary to opt for higher-octane fuels unless your car specifically demands it.

Importance of Fuel Additives

Fuel additives play a vital role in maintaining the health of your vehicle's engine. These additives, mixed into the gasoline, keep fuel injectors and other engine components clean, ensuring efficient combustion and preventing deposit buildup.

This results in more engine power, better fuel economy, and lower emissions. The right balance and quality of these additives are what distinguish superior gasoline from ordinary ones.

The TOP TIER Gasoline Standard

In 2004, leading automakers including Audi, BMW, GM, Honda, Toyota, and Volkswagen, established the "TOP TIER" gasoline standard. This standard advocates for higher levels of fuel additives than the U.S. government's minimum requirements.

TOP TIER gasoline is formulated to ensure cleaner engines, enhanced efficiency, and optimal performance. It is specifically designed to meet the needs of modern engines, which are more technologically advanced and require better-quality fuel.

Non-Compliant Gasoline Brands

Several well-known gasoline brands in the U.S. do not meet the TOP TIER standard. These include Amoco, BP, Circle K, Love's, Murphy USA, Pilot Flying J, Safeway, Sam's Club, and Speedway.

Using gasoline from these brands may not harm your vehicle immediately, but over time, it could lead to reduced engine efficiency and increased maintenance costs due to lower-quality additives and potential buildups.

The Truth About Independent Gas Stations

Independent gas stations, often unbranded, source their fuel from various suppliers. While some might offer TOP TIER fuel, most do not. This inconsistency means that the quality of gasoline at these stations can vary significantly.

Consumers should be cautious and informed when road trip-refueling at independent stations, as the long-term impacts of lower-quality fuel can be bad for their vehicles.

A few of the TOP TIER Brands

For those seeking high-quality gasoline, numerous brands meet the TOP TIER standard. Some of these include *(1st)Chevron, Costco Wholesale, Exxon Mobil, and *(2nd)Shell, among others (via Consumer Reports).

Refueling your vehicle at these stations ensures that you are getting gasoline with optimal levels of additives, designed to keep your engine running cleaner and more efficiently.

*based on my own personal Chassis Dynameter testing over 4+ decades
ASE

The Cost of Quality

While higher-quality gasoline might come at a premium, considering the average cost of new cars in the U.S., which is well above $48,000, it's a worthwhile investment.

Using top-tier gasoline can significantly extend the life of your vehicle, improve fuel efficiency, and reduce maintenance costs in the long run. This choice is especially crucial at a time when consumers are holding onto their cars longer

Environmental Considerations

Choosing higher-quality gasoline is not only beneficial for your vehicle but also for the environment. TOP TIER gasoline contributes to lower emissions, cleaner engines, and more efficient fuel consumption.

As the world grapples with environmental issues, opting for such gasoline is a small but significant step individuals can take toward a cleaner, more sustainable future.

Electric Vehicles vs. Gasoline Cars

Electric vehicles have certainly made headlines with their milestone of 1 million sales. However, they constitute just a small percentage of the total vehicles in the U.S.

The dominance of gasoline cars is attributed to various factors, including their affordability, widespread fuel availability, and consumer habits. This prevailing preference for gasoline vehicles brings to the forefront the importance of understanding gasoline quality and its impact on vehicle performance and maintenance.

Future Trends in Fuel

Looking toward the future, the fuel industry is bound to evolve, especially with the gradual shift toward electric vehicles. However, until electric vehicles become the main form of transportation, understanding and choosing the right gasoline remains crucial.

As technology advances, we may see new formulations and standards in gasoline, further enhancing vehicle performance and environmental friendliness. The journey of gasoline from a mere commodity to a sophisticated, engineered product reflects the ever-changing nature of automotive technology and consumer preferences

Old 01-15-2024, 08:16 AM

Thanks for the article. Why do some places, mainly northern states, offer 85 octane?

Old 01-15-2024, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by geekgwk
Thanks for the article. Why do some places, mainly northern states, offer 85 octane?
Can you re-word you question as it is not exactly clear what you are asking?

Old 01-15-2024, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by geekgwk
In the USA many states with higher average elevation offer 85 octane. Examples - Colorado and Utah. It's because of elevation air density. Personally, while I understand the science of it, I stick with mid grade in those states in my car.

As for the article, I pretty much only use Shell and Chevron in my cars with occasional Kirkland. No matter what Top Tier licensed when travelling. Top Tier audits their licensed stations so you know the detergent and octane level is compliant.

Old 01-15-2024, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by ondersma80
In the USA many states with higher average elevation offer 85 octane. Examples - Colorado and Utah. It's because of elevation air density. Personally, while I understand the science of it, (NO you don't not at all !!!) I stick with mid grade in those states in my car.

As for the article, I pretty much only use Shell and Chevron in my cars with occasional Kirkland. No matter what Top Tier licensed when travelling. Top Tier audits their licensed stations so you know the detergent and octane level is compliant.
Thats not exactly a accurate or empirical answer?
I am not sure where you think the air density has to do with different 85 octane automotive fuels offered? ...lol . Air density like air temperature we might as well add combustion temperature has to do with the reaction of fuel ignition in the combustion chamber not the changing the octane rating of a fuel. You do realize the programing in the ECU adjust for input sensor information to a point that most vehicle gasoline octanes can be used to at least run the engine and for the most part protect it?

As for the octane levels being compliant here again this has nothing to do with the article or the available gasoline performance and extra quality. The Federal Government mandates that all automotive gas station must post the ROM and MOR. They are NOT required in any aspect to show what their formulas which is primarily because many have, patent, trademarked, copyright, and trade secrets, etc or basically proprietary formulas. The only information publicly available is the HAZMAT info which is more or less to satisfy OSHA regulations.

BTW there is NO regulation about detergents in gasoline needing to be published or available to the public. That one reading made me smile almost laugh!

I do applaud your primary use of Shell and Chevron fuels.

Last edited by Callisto; 01-15-2024 at 02:51 PM.
Old 01-15-2024, 06:07 PM

It doesn't appear Callisto has any idea the difference between federally mandated standards and Top Tier standards. Seems he is on the forums more than learning info. I demand a long winded inaccurate response as usual. Get to work!

Hahhahahab

Old 01-15-2024, 06:13 PM

we know who knows what around this forum.

Old 01-15-2024, 06:20 PM

Air density like air temperature we might as well add combustion temperature has to do with the reaction of fuel ignition in the combustion chamber not the changing the octane rating of a fuel. You do realize the programing in the ECU adjust for input sensor information to a point that most vehicle gasoline octanes can be used to at least run the engine and for the most part protect it?
Octane levels being compliant on the available gasoline performance and extra quality. The Federal Government mandates that all automotive gas station must post the ROM and MOR. They are NOT required in any aspect to show what their formulas which is primarily because many have, patent, trademarked, copyright, and trade secrets, etc or basically proprietary formulas. The only information publicly available is the HAZMAT info which is more or less to satisfy OSHA regulations.
There is NO regulation about detergents in gasoline needing to be published or available to the public.

So basically, the fuel suppliers that meet all the Federal requirements are considered at least in the top tier listing for fuels by one report. I did not think it was important but do know because of one member so to mention I did look into where that report got its information about who the top tier fuel suppliers are, and it is not empirical data but common sense for the most part.
Shell and Chevron fuels are IMHO based on testing on the track and daily drivers as well Dyno Testing are the 2 of the best.

Last edited by Callisto; 01-15-2024 at 06:25 PM.