Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. ALMOST anything goes.

The "Top Gear" Discussion/Memory Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 04:55 PM
Banned

THE STIG REVEALED:
Did some web research and came up with this article: Top Gear's The Stig unmasked as Ben Collins by his own company accounts | Mail Online

Summary:
In June last year the seven-times Formula 1 champion driver Michael Schumacher dressed as the Stig and removed his helmet on the programme. The BBC refused to confirm or deny if Schumacher really was the mystery driver, but the scene was widely regarded as a hoax.

But the seven-year mystery surrounding top Gear's masked test driver the Stig appears finally to be over.
Financial documents have been unearthed which link 35-year-old racing driver and stuntman Ben Collins to the secret role.
Collins, who has doubled for Daniel Craig for stunts in a James Bond film, was named as a possible Stig after a builder claimed to have seen the distinctive white outfit at the driver's Bristol home.
Ben Collins is a racing car driver from Bristol, England. He has competed in motor racing since 1994 in many categories, from Formula Three and Indy Lights to sportscars, GT racing and stock cars.

Check out this picture from http://bencollins.com/

Last edited by UseYourNoggin; 03-06-2014 at 04:57 PM.
Old 03-07-2014, 08:40 AM
Super Moderator

Schumacher, the first white Stig, has a very distinctive walk, and it can be seen in a number of the earlier episodes.
As far as I know, we never learned who black Stig was before they 'killed him off' driving off an aircraft carrier.
The current Stig remains a mystery to me.

Old 05-17-2014, 07:30 PM
Banned
Talking

Just saw a episode with Mazda CX-5 diesel used as a tow vehicle.
First video last 45 secs is Mazxa CX-5 towing trailer around the timed race-track!

The small pic is what's left after towing a trailer thru the countryside bush! To bad no video for that one!

VIDEO:

Old 12-15-2014, 01:57 AM

I got one and I lost it.

Old 03-10-2015, 06:53 PM
Banned

Jeremy Clarkson may be done.
BBC News special correspondent Lucy Manning said sources had confirmed reports Clarkson was suspended for "allegedly hitting a producer".
In a statement earlier, the BBC said: "Following a fracas with a BBC producer, Jeremy Clarkson has been suspended pending an investigation.

More: BBC News - Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear host, suspended by BBC after 'fracas'
and: http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/j...arebar_twitter

Last edited by UseYourNoggin; 03-10-2015 at 06:56 PM.
Old 03-25-2015, 08:30 AM
Banned

After the investigation, apparently after a long day of shooting Top Gear, Jeremy Clarkson couldn't get his Steak & Mash so he Mashed the producer. Apparently the kitchen was closed. Well as far as I am concerned, the lazy *** producer should have had some kind of food ready!
Jeremy Clarkson is gone.
The dogmatic liberal elite have finally kicked out Jeremy Clarkson. I hope they're happy - Telegraph

Live Updates

the physical attack lasted around 30 seconds and was halted by a witness

· Oisin Tymon offered no retaliation;

· the verbal abuse was directed at Oisin Tymon on more than one occasion – both during the attack and subsequently inside the hotel – and contained the strongest expletives and threats to sack him. The abuse was at such volume as to be heard in the dining room, and the shouting was audible in a hotel bedroom;

· derogatory and abusive language, relating to Tymon and other members of the Top Gear team, continued to be used by Jeremy Clarkson inside the hotel, in the presence of others, for a sustained period of time;

· Tymon was shocked and distressed by the incident, and believed that he had lost his job;

· following the attack, Oisin Tymon drove to a nearby A&E department for examination;

· over subsequent days, Jeremy Clarkson made a number of attempts to apologise to Oisin Tymon by way of text, email and in person; and

· Jeremy Clarkson reported the incident to BBC management.

Clarkson did not dispute that Tymon was the victim of an unprovoked physical and verbal attack, nor did any witness, said Ken MacQuarrie, who carried out the inquiry.

Response from James May (1 of the other 2 hosts):
Asked if he thought the decision was fair, May said it was “probably within the law and their hands were tied”.
On his own future, May said: Erm, well I don’t want to talk about that too much but I think we are very much the three of us as a package. It works for very complicated reasons that a lot of people don’t fully understand. So that will require a lot of careful thought ...Much as I think he’s a **** I quite like working with Jeremy.

Attached Thumbnails The "Top Gear" Discussion/Memory Thread-bbc_-clarkson-mounted-unprovoked-attack_-.jpg  

Last edited by UseYourNoggin; 03-25-2015 at 03:09 PM.
Old 03-25-2015, 10:37 AM
Banned

In a statement North Yorkshire Police said they are looking into the incident that led to Clarkson’s departure.

It said:

North Yorkshire Police is liaising with the BBC regarding the alleged incident in North Yorkshire involving Jeremy Clarkson. We have asked the BBC for the report which details the findings of their internal investigation into the matter.
The information will be assessed appropriately and action will be taken by North Yorkshire Police where necessary. It would not be appropriate for North Yorkshire Police to comment further at this time.

BBC director-general Tony Hall has just been on BBC News. He said (quotes via my colleague John Plunkett) that Clarkson had “crossed a line” and left him with “no alternative. You cannot accept physical violence coupled with sustained verbal abuse”.

The futures of his co-presenters James May and Richard Hammond hang in the balance, as their contracts also expire at the end of the month.

Obviously, in the first pic he is looking at a mirror!

Last edited by UseYourNoggin; 03-25-2015 at 05:53 PM.
Old 03-29-2015, 08:13 AM
Banned

Death threat to BBC chief and his wife: Bodyguards rush to home of Director-General after terrifying e-mail is sent to Corporation over his decision to drop Jeremy Clarkson from Top Gear

Read more: BBC's Tony Hall gets death threat over Jeremy Clarkson's Top Gear sacking | Daily Mail Online

Old 04-28-2015, 06:17 PM
Banned

....Clarkson offered several interesting revelations, including some insight into his mental state leading up to his dust-up with Top Gear producer Oisin Tymon.
“I’d been told, sternly, by my doctor that the lump on my tongue was probably cancer and that I must get it checked out immediately. But I couldn’t do that. We were in the middle of a Top Gear series. And Top Gear always came first,” Clarkson said of a conversation that took place two days before the incident with Tymon.

Fortunately that prognosis turned out to be false. Even better news for fans of Clarkson’s contributions to automotive entertainment is the reassurance that he will be creating another motoring show, though were, and with whom, remain a mystery:

“I have lost my baby but I shall create another. Let’s stop being silly and pick up the pieces and start again… I just know I’m going to do another car show.”

Top Gear producer Oisin Tymon looking particularly punchable on the show’s set. Image: BBC

Old 04-30-2015, 12:11 PM
Banned

co-host James May is coming out with a strong proclamation: He simply won’t return to the show without Jeremy Clarkson.

more: James May Won't Do Top Gear Without Jeremy Clarkson ? News ? Car and Driver | Car and Driver Blog

Quick Reply: The "Top Gear" Discussion/Memory Thread