New Member Area New to MF? Stop in tell us about you.

Noob from Oregon

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 08:50 AM
Default Noob from Oregon

Hi there, I'm Blake and I just purchased a 99 protege. It''s an SE model, 5spd with power locks and windows. Its a great commuter car, today was my first day diving it to work. I normally drive a lifted F250 Powerstroke diesel, so this car is a bit of a change. I love it, but it has a few things that need fixing like a P0420 code and 1st gear wont engage. But I love a project, and I'm here to listen and learn.

Old 04-18-2014, 10:45 AM
Banned
Old 04-18-2014, 09:37 PM

Well I talked to my neighbor and he said he's had that code tor about 3 yrs. Spent about 800 dollars trying to fix it but nothing. I just filled the tank up for the first time and it got 30 mpg. So im not overly concerned with it.

Old 04-19-2014, 09:51 AM
Banned

Like it says in the video, if you were listening closely, The code comes up at 5% inefficiency, so 94% of cat is fine.
Put in the lacquer thinner and do it! I did! Do it at half strength of video and take it for a long 1 hour ride on highway with less than 1/2 tank of gas. Do not use paint thinner.
You could also use cataclean: Cataclean, Information
Don't just drive around with a cel when it may be an easy fix like this!

Last edited by UseYourNoggin; 04-19-2014 at 11:53 AM. Reason: may be
Old 04-19-2014, 11:51 AM

Ok, that sounds easy enough. I'll give that a try. Thank you for the help.

Old 04-19-2014, 09:17 PM

You mean you have trouble putting into first when the car sits still?

Try this: Put it in Neutral, release the clutch pedal, press the clutch pedal and shift into first. You might just have lined up the synchro ring with the cog perfectly.

You can also try this: Press the clutch shift into first, if it does not work shift into second and then first while keeping the clutch pedal down. This also often helps aligning the synchro with the cog.

Changing the gear oil is not a bad idea either.

Old 04-21-2014, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by tanprotege
You mean you have trouble putting into first when the car sits still?

Try this: Put it in Neutral, release the clutch pedal, press the clutch pedal and shift into first. You might just have lined up the synchro ring with the cog perfectly.

You can also try this: Press the clutch shift into first, if it does not work shift into second and then first while keeping the clutch pedal down. This also often helps aligning the synchro with the cog.

Changing the gear oil is not a bad idea either.
Yup it just grinds when I start to release the clutch with it in first and never engages the gear. No mattee what order I go in.

Old 04-21-2014, 11:10 AM

That means the synchro ring is busted. Swapping the gear box for a good one may be the simplest solution.

Old 04-21-2014, 12:06 PM
Banned
Exclamation

Originally Posted by RedDragon66
Yup it just grinds when I start to release the clutch with it in first and never engages the gear. No mattee what order I go in.
If you can't find'em grind'em!
Gonna be hard to match up revs without synchro, but i used to drive without the clutch when shifting gears, just let off gas pedal when up shifting and throw it in! Downshifting you'll have to rev up engine before throwing it in.
Mind as well try it, your tranny is f'kd anyway!

Old 04-21-2014, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by tanprotege
That means the synchro ring is busted. Swapping the gear box for a good one may be the simplest solution.
Oh ok. I'll check that. Seems like I'm just chasing things down now. I've gotten 12 different answers from 12 different people lol.

Quick Reply: Noob from Oregon