New Member Area New to MF? Stop in tell us about you.

1998 Mazda MPV Replaced broken timing belt!!! Now won't start!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 11:42 AM
Default 1998 Mazda MPV Replaced broken timing belt!!! Now won't start!!!

I was driving when the van "died" Got it towed home and upon checking, the timing belt was broken.
Bought an after market timing belt and put it in. She just cranks and she will not start. I have set the
timing more than ten-times. I also changed the crank sensor, still she will not start.
I disconected the fuel line and when you crank the engine fuel is gasshing out like
a faucet. Disconnected a spark plug wire to check for spark while cranking motor.
The spark is very weak and "blue" in colour.
Please help......................I am setting the timing correctly or is it the distributor.
Anyone with diagrams or manual to set timing you can fax me. I am at the verge of junking this van
at this time. HELP!!!!

Old 08-07-2007, 02:32 AM
Default RE: 1998 Mazda MPV Replaced broken timing belt!!! Now won't start!!!

actually if ur timing chain broke, n the truck was still running, timing is not ur only problem................when the timing chain breaks, the pistons keep moving up n down ( for a short time) while the valves arent...........in effect, the pistons could hit the valves causing major damage to your cylinder heads which could be the reason that ur mpv wont start........worst comes to worst.......the pistons themselves can be damaged n ull need new pistons,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,n the timng thing, i can get that for u.....it's actually not too hard tho.................u can just take of the valve cover gasket ( to make sure everything is in place since ur chain broke) and set the car to point 0.....u can do that by manually turning ur crankshaft by setting ur truck on neutral........first take off the valve cover so u can see the marks on the pulleys, both cam and crank shaft..secon, take off spark plug number one ( hopefully u know which one that is) then just get a long screw driver and slowly turn the crankshaft, try to feel when that piston is all the way, so check just before it starts going down again,.........once youve reached this point, if u take off the distributor cap, it the rotor should be pointing towards cable numer one, the crankshaft should be alligned with whatever marking the block has and the same thing goes for the camshaft, when all these things are aligned, your truck will be timed perfectly, then just reassemble.