Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

Battery problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 01:54 AM
Cool Battery problems

New member here.

I bought a 2008 Mazda6 and had to charge the battery three times during the first month. On the third time I took it back to the dealer who checked out the battery and charging system and then charged me for a new battery. All fixed right? No sir!

New battery was dead within four days (car sat in the garage - it's my new pride and joy!)

Took it back to the dealer who declared that their electrician had checked the vehicle and all was good and within spec. Even quoted me relevant amperages.

I have checked the load current when the car is off (about 0.6 Amps) which seems very high to me. The car is still with the dealer since I pointed out that the car should not be killing batteries in a few days if everything is good. I've checked lights, lighters etc.

Just thought I'd share my new found joy in my new car and my absolute amazement at my dealer's logic.

If you have any experience with this sort of thing then I welcome your input. I think my dealer would welcome a clue as well.

Old 10-09-2011, 04:55 PM

McLaren has had a problem in the new MP4-12C where the batteries are dying due to drain from the head unit. They are telling owners to be sure to use the central locking when they park the car overnight/long term. Doing so apparently shuts-down the entire electrical system. No idea if a Mazda would do the same. Might help with drain until you find the problem.

As far as finding the problem, about the only idea I'd have is pulling fuses for misc. items and see when the drain stops. Pull the one for the interior lights. If the drain doesn't stop, put it back in and pull the one for the stereo. And so on. Have you checked the obvious- make sure your interior and/or trunk lights are not staying on? You'd like to think the dealer checked as well, but....

Old 08-24-2012, 06:18 PM

I have a 2012 Mazda5 Grand Touring, just over a year old now. We've put almost 25k miles on it, doesn't help that we had to move cross country. I've got a battery drain problem as well. Took it in because when we jump started it, the room fuse blew, and whenever we'd try to install a new fuse, it would blow too. The dealership here said it was a problem with the DVD player that was installed for us at purchase by Rudolph Mazda in El Paso, TX. Well, after a five hundred dollar bill and having the DVD player disconnected, the problem was supposed to be rectified. I didn't have any errands to run for the last couple of days, but when I went to go to the grocery store yesterday afternoon, once again, dead battery. Car is back at the Dealer now, but they called to say they don't see a problem. They are going to let it sit in their lot over the weekend and try to start it on Monday. They asked if my car charger for my cell phone was plugged in. It wasn't, but even if it were, shouldn't there be some kind of protection to keep it from drawing current while the engine is off? I have left my cell phone plugged in before and I know that it doesn't continue charging while the motor is off. Anyone else experiencing issues like this with a new Mazda? I want the problem fixed under warranty, but am worried that once again the Dealership will try to blame something else for the problem and leave me footing the bill.

We've also had issues with the passenger airbag light coming on to warn us that the airbag is not functioning, and our liftgate wouldn't open. It turned out that there was a small piece of metal stuck in there, it looked like a clip to hold wires in place.

I also have had to replace all four tires, they were wearing really unevenly and showing cords. Yes, I did have them rotated and I have had the car aligned. So far, not a happy camper with my new Mazda5.

Old 08-24-2012, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by maryj915
I have a 2012 Mazda5 Grand Touring, just over a year old now. We've put almost 25k miles on it, doesn't help that we had to move cross country. I've got a battery drain problem as well. Took it in because when we jump started it, the room fuse blew, and whenever we'd try to install a new fuse, it would blow too. The dealership here said it was a problem with the DVD player that was installed for us at purchase by Rudolph Mazda in El Paso, TX. Well, after a five hundred dollar bill and having the DVD player disconnected, the problem was supposed to be rectified. I didn't have any errands to run for the last couple of days, but when I went to go to the grocery store yesterday afternoon, once again, dead battery. Car is back at the Dealer now, but they called to say they don't see a problem. They are going to let it sit in their lot over the weekend and try to start it on Monday. They asked if my car charger for my cell phone was plugged in. It wasn't, but even if it were, shouldn't there be some kind of protection to keep it from drawing current while the engine is off? I have left my cell phone plugged in before and I know that it doesn't continue charging while the motor is off. Anyone else experiencing issues like this with a new Mazda? I want the problem fixed under warranty, but am worried that once again the Dealership will try to blame something else for the problem and leave me footing the bill.

We've also had issues with the passenger airbag light coming on to warn us that the airbag is not functioning, and our liftgate wouldn't open. It turned out that there was a small piece of metal stuck in there, it looked like a clip to hold wires in place.

I also have had to replace all four tires, they were wearing really unevenly and showing cords. Yes, I did have them rotated and I have had the car aligned. So far, not a happy camper with my new Mazda5.
Isn't this under warrenty?

Old 08-25-2012, 02:38 AM
Default Warranty

So one would think. The Mazda Dealership blamed the problems with the battery on the DVD player and since it is not factory installed, I had to pay for it. The car is back at the dealer now, because the problem persisted even after the DVD player had been disconnected (a week ago). The airbag light went off on its' own before we could get it to the dealer, when I told the dealer about it, they said, well, if it happens again bring it in. I gave the wire clip to them and explained how the liftgate had been jammed and that it had fallen out of there. They said, "Oh. Hold onto that."

The tires I am not going to sweat, I figure tires are something you replace on a car, but if these new ones (I bought really good tires) are showing too much wear too soon I'm going to have to go speak to the dealer about it.

If they don't fix this battery problem under warranty and refund the money that I already paid them, I am not sure what my recourse will be, but I'll come up with something.

Old 02-23-2013, 02:09 PM

Ihave a 91 Gen A. and don't have battery problems at all--except prices. Last nite I happened upon another Miata enthusiast (rare around here) who said he was able to replace his on his Gen 1 with a TRACTOR BATTERY!!!!! I assume the size has to be the same, and power, etc. Has anyone ever done this? Tractor batteries cost about $50--Miata batteries cost $121. I have about 10,000 things on m y restoration-in-progress I could spend that money on. Any suggestions????

Old 02-23-2013, 09:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by majicjeani
Ihave a 91 Gen A. and don't have battery problems at all--except prices. Last nite I happened upon another Miata enthusiast (rare around here) who said he was able to replace his on his Gen 1 with a TRACTOR BATTERY!!!!! I assume the size has to be the same, and power, etc. Has anyone ever done this? Tractor batteries cost about $50--Miata batteries cost $121. I have about 10,000 things on m y restoration-in-progress I could spend that money on. Any suggestions????
As long as cold cranking amps are there and voltage is a match, it's a go!. Battery hold down would be an issue, not to mention the room where to put it.