Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

Ticking sound

Old 04-25-2006, 02:40 PM
Default Ticking sound

So my car was sitting for a day, and I went to move it closer to my dorm since I just got out of class, and when I started it up it was making a ticking sound. So after I parked I left it running and I opened up the hood and looked to see if I could hear exactly where the sound was coming from. It is on the passenger side where all the pulleys are, but it doesn't sound like it is coming from the pulleys, sounds like it is at the top of the engine and it made me think it was low on oil, but I checked and it seems to be fine. It is the valve train or anything like that, I heard that...this is a more distinctive ticking sound that happens like once a second. Any ideas? Should I be concerned? I have a 2005 6i, atx. Thanks guys, I have just over 28k on it.

Old 04-25-2006, 04:47 PM
Default RE: Ticking sound

this sounds exactly like the engine knocking issue, but that occurs while the vehicle is running at very low rpms (1000 avg. rpms) and when put into drive. i wonder if that can be related to yours.

Old 04-25-2006, 07:22 PM

Thats what I thought, but isn't it only on the V6's? I only have the inline-4. I did fill up with Hess the other day...Because my grandmother filled up my tank so I wwent to the cheap place, but I have always used Mobile. Think that could be it?

Old 04-25-2006, 11:32 PM

well, the problem is more prevalent in the v6 models... but you can't rule out the 4banger. i've heard of these issues on them as well on other forums.

as for the gas, you can run into problems there as well. if the storage units that hold the gas are running low, you tend to get a little residue/crap from the tank. most places will not tell you if you are using gas from the bottom part of the tank, but where i live, i know when the trucks fill up so i wait for the truck... then i'm a happy camper. i feel safer then

Old 04-29-2006, 05:14 AM

Hey spike, how bout you check your power steering belt and make sure it is not gone bad, check all your belts. I have a Millenia and i was having that same problem and i change the power steering belt and my ac belt and it went away. I would check those first cause i think thats your problem. Im saying this cause your saying it is coming from your pulley so i would give it a try, if your steering wheel is harder to turn and the noise get louder when you turn then that deff. your problem. its a cheap problem to fix so i would at least try that.

Old 04-29-2006, 11:26 PM

I appreciate your words of advice my man! I checked the belt and it looks good. My steering seems to be tight and precise. I checked the TSB's and I found one of the belt tensioner pulley. I made an appt with Tasca mazda for that noise and mentioned the TSB. I am also having my oil changed while it will be in there (a few hundred miles early, but wont hurt!) and I am having my wheels, balanced, rotated and aligned. I am having some "shark teeth" wearing on my tire so my toe in setting needs to be rea-adjusted. I apreciate all the help, and I will keep you all updated. This is my first time at tasca, as Vachon got bought out by them so hopefully it will be a good experience!

Old 05-02-2006, 05:54 PM

So I got my car back...Dropped it off at like 10, picked it up at 6...it was ready before that but I was in class. I had a 4-wheel alignment done, rotation and balancing of the tires, and an oil change and had them check out that oil change. It was the belt tensioner and it was replaced No Charge. So she is all set now (knock on wood) And I would def. recomment Tasca Mazda...they are very good and professional.