Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

Security Indicator keeps flashing??

Old 08-28-2007, 02:57 PM
Default Security Indicator keeps flashing??

The red Security Indicator light on the dash keeps flashing. When the engine is started the light stops but when ignition is switched off it continues flashing.

Also if I unlock and open the drivers door the alarm is set off.

anyone have any ideas??

Old 11-05-2008, 03:13 PM
Default RE: Security Indicator keeps flashing??

I have the same problem, and it definately wasn't there before. The Mazda manual says its supposed to come on and flash every 2secs after switching from ON to ACC and off again when switched to ON and whilst running.
It wasn't clear as to what happens when its in the off position but in my case there was no flashing 'key light' when in the Off position until now. Which indicates i have a problem, although noalarm or running problems have appeared.

Anymoreideas on this?

Old 11-05-2008, 06:49 PM
Super Moderator

The only time mine doesn't flash is whern the key is on, or the engine is running. It flashes every 2secs 24/7, and always has,other than that.

Old 11-05-2008, 10:30 PM
Super Moderator

Assuming you guys have the same light in the Mz6 that Richard and I have in our 3's (little red car with a key in it) it's the indicator light for the engine immobilizer and it flashes whenever the key isn't in the ACC/ON positions to let you know it's working.

I don't know why your alarm would be flipping out though.

Old 11-06-2008, 07:59 AM

In my '04 6S wagon, the security light ALWAYS flashes while the car is off. It does not flash when the car is on and running. So in that respect, it sounds like your car is behaving normally. I cannot explain why your alarm is going off, though. Try making sure the car is unlocked BEFORE turning off the engine, and see if the issue goes away. Please report back and let us know what you find out! Cheers,

David

Old 11-06-2008, 11:10 PM

My 06 6s does not have an alarm. I don't think the blinking red light has anything to do with the status of the immobilizer. The service guy says it's just a faux alarm indicatorto tell the would-be-thief to pick another car. It's just there to make the car appear tohave a real alarm likea Audi, BMW & Porsche.

For a car withan alarm,opening the door with or without a key(thief) before disarmingby using the remotewill always set it off.

Old 11-07-2008, 08:01 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: rx4to6

My 06 6s does not have an alarm. I don't think the blinking red light has anything to do with the status of the immobilizer.
On the 3 the light is specifically for the immobilizer. It flashes a little red car icon that has a key in it. If you insert a key that either doesn't have a chip, or is not programmed then the light flashes really quickly.

Old 08-22-2011, 04:53 PM
Default no security light

I have a 2000 mpv. just replaced the ecm and now need to program it but the little security light on the dash isn't coming on at all? Have read on several other posts that the immobilizer and ecm kind of act as one so if one is replaced the other needs to be as well. Anyone know of any other reasons why the security light wouldn't come on? hate to buy a new immobilizer if not needed.

Old 06-03-2013, 11:41 AM
Post Flashing Security Indicator Light

Think I have the solution for you

(The one with the flashing warning light of a red car and the black key in the middle)

This light has multiple purposes and relates to the security system for the car. Flashing is the only way the security system can communicate with the driver that something is wrong. Drivers think its "normal" but it isn't.

If the key has been removed from the ignition and it flashes one every two seconds it is advising the driver that there is a problem with the back-up battery that runs the alarm system & alarm siren.

Ordinarily the siren is connected to the main car battery and it uses that for power. As a security measure, the siren also has an emergency back-up battery, so if power is cut from the main car battery, the security system will still operate.

However this battery dies after about 5 to 7 years

So when it does, it sends a signal to the warning light in the dash to advise the driver that the back-up battery in the security system needs replacing. This is a b###h of a job because usually the security system is hidden in the wheel arch or some other inaccessible place (of security reasons, obviously)

Strictly speaking, there is nothing wrong with the security system, its still working normally. However if a thief cuts power to the main battery, and the back up battery has run flat, then the security siren wont operate

As a precaution, drivers should get the security (back up) battery replaced. Parts and labour, about £170

Hope this helps

Old 04-02-2014, 10:45 PM
Default Security indicator light on dash flashes

Just purchased a new Mazda 6 sedan. I have noticed that the red security indicator light on the dash keeps flashing after I stop the engine. It stops when I restart the motor (after about 3 seconds of steady light). It looks like this is the normal function of this indicator - to tell the owner the theft immobilizer system is activated. I hope this doesn't drain the battery if the car is left off for a week or longer? ??

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Security Indicator keeps flashing??