Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

Not working key fob

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 10:51 PM
Default Not working key fob

So, the key fob part of my key to my 06 6s doesn't work anymore. I click the buttons, the light lights up, but the car won't lock/un-lock/pop the hood, etc. I tried doing the reprogram thing, but that didn't work. I think the battery might be close to dead, but I'm not sure, cause the light works, and the car still turns on (doesn't this key send some sort of signal to the car when you start it?).

Anyway, does anyone have any suggestions? Oh, I am still underwarranty, but I don't want to schedule a visit, because that's too much hastle for something that could be as cheap as a battery.

Old 10-17-2007, 12:37 AM
Default RE: Not working key fob

That's intersting; the lights blink but doors won't lock/unlock. Pop the hoop? I'll try a new battery, you need it eventually anyways.

Old 10-22-2007, 01:07 PM

I feel kinda stupid now, but I can't seem to get the battery out. I can open up the key fob, and there is this little diagram that says "press here to remove battery" but I don't know what they mean by "here." Pressing the diagram doesn't work. I can't wedge anything behind the battery to press against the battery there, and I really am afraid to use force, as I'm scared I'll break it.

Anyone else know how to get the battery out?

Old 10-22-2007, 08:31 PM

Use your second key. Take the first keyto any Mazda dealer with the new battery and watchthem change it. You don't want to break a $300 key. The security chip in the key does not need juice from the battery, it bounces a code sent wirelessly by the steering column. Remember the the seperate key and fob for older cars?

Old 10-22-2007, 09:10 PM

Yes I do remember, but I wasn't sure how this one work.

Second key...yes...about that, I bought the car used, and the previous owner seems to have lost the other key. Stupid Hertz.

I do have a warranty, is key fob battery covered under the normal warranty?

Old 10-24-2007, 12:12 AM

Probably not, I hope it's only a few bucks anyways.
Next time when you buy a used car, put it on the agreement thatyou will get 2 keys or take $300 off the price. In the mean time, I strongly suggest getting a 2nd key from a dealer. I think if you lose your only key, it will be very expensive or impossible to program a new key based on just the VIN and itmight also take a couple of days to order. Check it out with the dealer. Now, my own horror story:Honda Preludewas broken into, the bad guy smashed the lock on the steering also breakingthe wireless code sender. No, he couldn't start the carbecause there is nocodesent andreceived. Wow, the immobilizer worked as designed. But guess what, Honda can'tput in a new code sender and program it to readthe chip in my key. So,I haveto get a full lockkit: sender, 2 new keys, a funny red program key, 2 door locks and a trunk lock.That waslike 10 yrs agoand my insurance wasn't too happy to pay $1,000.So you better chain you key to youself till you get a 2nd one because you might end up buying a full lock kit and insurance won't pay.

Old 10-25-2007, 01:31 AM

thedfo: My '04 6i is also an ex-hertz,and I too only got onefob. Mine quit workinga while back.My car still had the manufactures warranty andthe Mazdaservice centerhonred it and replaced the fob and did the reprogram free of charge. So if the car is still under the4 year, 50,000 mile warranty, like mine was, thenaMazdaservice centershould be able to take care of it.... Now I have about 400 miles left on my warranty, I'm kinda bummed about that...