Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

Mazda Atenza fuel pump issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2017, 01:23 AM
Default Mazda Atenza fuel pump issues

Hi all
I have a 2007 2.3 mazda atenza wagon. 2 weeks ago, fuel pump died ( so we thought ) so after a week and a half of sourcing parts and a lil bit of drama, got it going and we thought all was well. Syphtoms of a dead pump happened again today only 4 days after getting it going from the first time.
Have given to the mechanics this time and the hooked it up to a diagnostic machine today and found no faults.
My wide mentioned yesterday that the fuel gauge was floating up and down . Unfortunately with the car at the garge I can't check plugs and relays to diagnose. Has anyone had similar problems?
Cheers Paul

Old 02-15-2017, 03:01 AM
Super Moderator

What brand pump did you use?

Are you sure its got plenty of fuel in the tank? ( Regardless of what the gauge says)

Check you've got full battery voltage at the pump & double check the resistance of the earth.

Old 02-15-2017, 03:43 AM

Fuel pump is "gross" brand. was the cheapest available at $150.
And plenty of fuel in the tank.
I also thourght I should bench test the old pump which may give a few more clues. During the first failure, I put a multi meter on the plug pump and it was getting good volts and disconnected the hose to the fuel rail so naturally I assumed it was the pump.

Old 02-15-2017, 05:41 AM
Super Moderator

Has anybody checked & measured fuel pressure at the fuel rail?

Can I suggest wiring a small light( or test light ) into the wiring at the pump. To make sure its got power to prime & make sure it's not loosing power on & after cranking.

Old 02-15-2017, 01:07 PM

hi grim_reaper

There is no fuel what so ever at the rail to measure pressure. Took the line off the rail and cranked and nothing came out.
I really wanted to check the wiring to the plug etc as before i took to the mechanics but I removed the back seat and took the cover off and could not feel or hear the pump priming as I could before.

i don't believe a a pump could fail in 3-4 days or less than 100km, even a chinese made pump. So it must be electrical? The mechanics mentioned they have experienced ecu's failing causing pump failure symptoms? anyone else heard of this?

Old 02-16-2017, 04:29 AM
Super Moderator

Have you tried swapping fuses and relays?