Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

DPF Light Flashing Engine light steady and code P242F - DPF filter restriction, Ash a

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2013, 03:37 AM
Super Moderator

Guess where I'm from buddy?

Old 11-17-2013, 06:05 AM

australia mate

Old 11-17-2013, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by grim_reaper
Did the oil data get reset at the oil change?
Is the oil level at or below the Max mark on the dipstick?
I would avoid driving until the seals are replaced.
no where do you rest the oil change, the oil level is below the X mark, and i have replaced the seals, car drive well most of the time but at 80mph it gos into limp mode

Old 11-18-2013, 04:14 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Dolphin

Be nice if some from Mazda came up on this forum to put us all out of our misery....

Dolphin..
dpfproblems, I will give you another guess.

Last edited by grim_reaper; 11-18-2013 at 04:35 AM.
Old 11-18-2013, 04:00 PM

Hey Grim Reaper,

Guess where I'm from buddy?

I think I got it.

Is it Mazda, Australia?

So, are we gonna play 20 questions or do you think you might be able to help us please?

Dolphin

Old 11-19-2013, 03:31 AM

very true ,the car on the whole is good but the dpf and all the problems it causes ,should have stuck with my honda.

Old 11-19-2013, 03:37 AM
Super Moderator

Dolphin, with people like you, I wonder why I bother visiting this site.

Old 11-19-2013, 04:04 PM

Hi Grim Reaper.

I apologise. Just my sense of humour - I didn't mean to cause offence. If you have some advice on what could be causing my limp home problem and rough running i'd be very grateful. I'd be very happy to provide any more info you need.

Dolphin

Old 12-10-2013, 02:26 PM

Returning to the theme of the thread....

Had the same problem with our 2006 model at 118000 miles back in august. Car does a lot of motorway work and the wife is not light footed.

Same symptoms, same sequence but with sudden high oil use/leak so we opted to pull the dpf out using the Greenwich garage that seemed to be the first to promote this action (or one of). Basic ecu download showed the engine was running cooler than spec. also the EGR pipe was clogged (12mm ish pipe with a remaining open bore of 3mm). And obviously a very clogged dpf. The blockage caused back pressure back into the engine causing the leak.

Post removal and remap based on the 121bhp output standard, power is a little lacking low down/feels heavy, with more power seemingly at cruising revs, Fuel consumption remains similar. We never really monitored it
Sooty smoke on startup quickly clears (no filter to catch it).
It sailed through its MOT in October with only a comment on the funny smell that now seems to have gone.

It seems that this dpf fit was pre environmental legislation hence it passes the test easily and still falls below issues when removed.

I hope this helps

Alan

Old 12-16-2013, 01:45 PM

I replaced my DPF filter a few months ago. As the car had done close to 160k and been in limp mode for some time, I thought I might as well.
However, after only 3 months and less than 4000 miles, my old friend; flashing DPF came back to see me, closely followed by his cohort the MIL. They have outstayed their welcome again now and seem most reluctant to leave.
After the filter change, I had the reset done at an affiliate garage for £40 and was reluctant to pay this again so soon after the last time.
I wanted control of the vehicle which is supposedly mine so I invested in a VCM reader.
Just as with an OBDII, I can reset the light easily enough but they come straight back.
All attempts to reset the DPF, DPF Sensor or ECU are met with "communication failure".
I have read about faulty DPF sensors and thought this could be the cause but they aint cheap to replace so I want to be certain before I throw any more money at the car.
Now I read about oxygen sensor possibilities and EGR, I'm back encamped at square 1.
Other codes come up after a while but the common denominator is P242F just as it was before the filter replacement.
It's hard to believe that it would need replacing 3000 miles down the road after the last one went for 150k+ (as far as I know).
I was hoping it was a service interval as I had gone to 162500 miles but it seems more serious.
Mazda have made a right pig of this filtration system and any time you ask for info, you get told "take it to your nearest authorized repairer ASAP!"
There I was, thinking that the car was actually mine!
Any thoughts on this would be most appreciated and if I finally get to the bottom of this DPF abyss, I will post my solution here.

Quick Reply: DPF Light Flashing Engine light steady and code P242F - DPF filter restriction, Ash a