Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

A/C Ticking sound

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 12:00 AM
Default A/C Ticking sound

Hello folks. I just purchased a 2006 Mazda 6 and I have just noticed a somewhat irritating ticking sound coming from the climate control system. I can hear the noise during both heat and cooling but nothing if the system is turned off. It sounds to me like a fan constantly hitting something. The dealership tells me this is normal, saying the sound is the A/C cycling on... but the sound is a constant ticking sound. Before I start my campaign of sitting in other '06 Mazda 6's at the dealership (if there are any) are any of you hearing this faint ticking noise?

Thank you for any info.

Old 12-14-2007, 09:55 AM
Default RE: A/C Ticking sound

You might have a loose fan assembly or something just in the way of the fan, I would just have it looked at the next time you get your oil changed, could be a quick simple fix.

Old 12-15-2007, 09:30 AM

mine does it too, but only when i have the fan on the 1 or 2 settings. 3-5 its quiet. i gota say these cars make some wierd noises. the only noises i heard on my previous truck(93 bronco 5.0) was the exhaust i had on it.

Old 01-03-2008, 07:34 PM

Thank you for your responses. I insisted Mazda took another look and they finally "found" the issue and "repaired" the problem. It was no better after my wife picked up the car. After three weeks of going back and fourth with Mazda I just found the problem myself. The noise is coming from the blower motor (?)underneath the glovebox. I removed the blower unit and turned on the A/C and no sound - the clicking sound only starts up when the unit is installed. I searched around for obstructions and saw none - pushed up on the filter to ensure it was not in contact with the blower and still ... click... click.. click. I am wondering if the air filter needs replacing... if that may help. Any other ideas? Also, how do I remove the clip on the side of the glove box (clip attached to a string on the right side of the glovebox).

Thank you.

Old 09-07-2009, 10:03 PM

I drive a 2006 mazda3 and have this same issue except my a/c fan has quit working three times now. Once i was told there was just a disconnected cord and ive had the a/c power module replaced once also. It went out again tonight and I was curious to see if anyone had any success in getting this problem resolved once and for all.

Old 11-03-2018, 01:11 PM

My 2009 6.GH Estate started with the ticking behind glovebox a few days ago.

I dont believe in just replacing parts so.......

The ticking comes from the flap actuator.

Remove Glovebox

Then with a Philips No2 Screwdriver bit in a ratchet spanner, I removed the actuator, Mine was held on with 3 screws, first check where they are with a mirror.

Prise off the actuator arm gently so as not to damage anything, Then gently prise open the retaining clips around the outside, (I snapped a few but doesnt matter)

Open the box and note position of plastic gears. Remove and clean them and check for damage. I found 1 of mine was tight on the plastic spindle that it turns on, Lack of lube on assembly I would think, I cleaned off the score marks with a bit of fine emery and reassembled with some light silicon grease. Make sure the gear that moves the lever goes in the right orientation, there is a moulding that goes in a slot under gear. Put cover back together and try it. I put tape around mine due to breaking a couple of tabs off. You can plug it in before fitting to try it.

Hope this helps