Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

Access to spare wheel - cable in the way?

Old 04-26-2015, 09:44 AM
Default Access to spare wheel - cable in the way?

Hi ... I wonder if anyone can give me some advice or suggestions? I have just bought a 2005 Mazda 6, which is all fine (nice car), but under the mat in the boot there is a pre-formed plastic tray covering the spare wheel, where the tray has purpose-made slots holding the tools used to change the spare wheel, very neat. However running across the tray is a thick electrical cable which stops the tray from being lifted to allow access to the spare wheel below.

The cable appears to be a standard original fitting, because it runs in a purpose-made slot with cable-clips. But the problem is that the cable prevents the tray from being lifted to gain access to the spare wheel.

That cable is actually in two parts connected together with a standard plastic connector something like the one in the link below, so the idea is obviously that you just unplug the two halves of the cable and lift up the tray. Easy, right?

Well it would be easy except the connecting plug seems to be extremely tight. So tight, that I think I would risk breaking it if I use any more force. -

OK, so the question is - how much force should it need to get that apart? Or is there some knack to it? The connector plug looks something like this (though the plug is actually covered in some light foam) -

Set Auto 8 Pin Way Waterproof Electrical Wire Cable Connector Plug | eBay

A less important question perhaps (2) what does that cable actually do? Is it just for the stereo/music stuff in the car?? Seems a very strange idea to run a cable like that across the spare wheel cover, is that normal in an 05-reg Mazda 6 ?

Cheers, Ian.

Old 04-26-2015, 12:10 PM
Banned

you will need to release the lock via a screwdriver. You'll have to push some thing down then pull at same time or put screwdriver in and push down and pull apart. I can't get in to specifics, this is just general thinking, "UseYourNoggin".

Old 04-26-2015, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by UseYourNoggin
you will need to release the lock via a screwdriver. You'll have to push some thing down then pull at same time or put screwdriver in and push down and pull apart. I can't get in to specifics, this is just general thinking, "UseYourNoggin".

OK, thanks for that suggestion. As I say, it is extremely tight and so far resists all my reasonable efforts to pull it apart. I can use brute force and risk breaking the connector, but that’s a bit of risk when I don’t know what those wires are actually controlling (it’s not mentioned at all in the handbook either).

Do you know if it’s common to have that group of wires routed like that in the boot of an 05 model Six?

Old 04-26-2015, 06:37 PM
Banned

I have no clue if it's common, just got back home.
Not in my 2006 anyway!

Last edited by UseYourNoggin; 04-26-2015 at 08:32 PM. Reason: my 2006
Old 04-27-2015, 04:47 AM

OK, problem solved. I did not actually use a screwdriver to help prise open the connector, but your suggestion still helped because it encouraged me to use a lot more force to pull the two halves of the connector apart.

Having got that apart and lifted the cover to get to get to the spare wheel, I can now see that the cable actually goes to the cover of a “Bose” in-car stereo system that’s screwed down over the centre of the spare wheel.

So it seems the cable is just part of that Bose stereo, and that’s an original factory fitted item on this TS2 model of the Six. So that appears to be the answer to my question of what this cable is for, and probably explains why some other models of the Six may not have any such cable routed across the boot of the car.

Thanks again,

Ian.

Old 04-27-2015, 04:48 AM
Super Moderator

Its for the factory Bose subwoofer. Its mounted within the confines of the spare tyre. I've never had any issues unplugging them. ( altho I work on these all the time)

Old 04-27-2015, 07:14 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by IanS
OK, problem solved. I did not actually use a screwdriver to help prise open the connector, but your suggestion still helped because it encouraged me to use a lot more force to pull the two halves of the connector apart.

Having got that apart and lifted the cover to get to get to the spare wheel, I can now see that the cable actually goes to the cover of a “Bose” in-car stereo system that’s screwed down over the centre of the spare wheel.

So it seems the cable is just part of that Bose stereo, and that’s an original factory fitted item on this TS2 model of the Six. So that appears to be the answer to my question of what this cable is for, and probably explains why some other models of the Six may not have any such cable routed across the boot of the car.

Thanks again,

Ian.
I got my own subs, makes it even more of a pain to get at spare tire. I'm moving this weekend so at least i can remove them.

Last edited by UseYourNoggin; 04-27-2015 at 07:19 AM.
Old 04-27-2015, 08:34 AM

Hah ha (smiles), fantastic . Well my car and its "subwoofers" are nothing like so imposing. In fact the boot looks completely empty ; can't see any subwoofers or anything at all apart from that tool tray over the spare wheel.

Though if that sounds like I'm a totally boring old git just using the Mazda-6 as a practical family car (which is actually true!), perhaps I ought to add that I also have a 2005 Toyota MR2 Roadster (yeah, OK I know it's not an MX5 lol ... but the MR2 is mid engined and I like the way it drives etc. etc.) Have to say the Six feels huge after the MR2, and I probably look laughably slow and pedestrian trying to reverse it out of tight parking spaces (still trying to judge the extra length and width without hitting anything lol!).