Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

2005 Mazda 6 Troubleshoot code P2187

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 06:43 PM
Default 2005 Mazda 6 Troubleshoot code P2187

So, real quick, this is my first post on the site. I've browsed it before, and browsed it prior to making this post, but I figured I'd post in order to get some additional info. So, here's the rundown:

A few days ago, my CEL came on. This threw me off since my car seems to be running flawlessly. I read that one cause could be the gas cap being on poorly, so I stopped and got gas ... I believe it was Saturday ... and twisted the hell out of the cap to make sure it was on well. I started the car back up, and VOILA! The CEL was off. So, of course I was ecstatic. That was the single easiest fix in the history of vehicular problems. Fast forward to this morning (Tuesday), and the light came back on.

I went to Autozone and got the diagnostic done. It gave the aforementioned P2187 code. For those who don't know, it says the issue is "Fuel system too lean at idle - right bank". Then it says the probably causes are "large vacuum leak, fuel system malfunction, maf sensor faulty, and ignition system malfunction". The guy at AutoZone said he figures it's the ignition system (don't know what he based that on) and suggested I get a tuneup.

I came home and came on this forum and did a search for that code. I did the same on other sites. It seems that the majority of the people who got that code were suffering from poor idling. They said their cars threatened to shut off while idling at lights, or did cut off. Those same people seem to have malfunctioning hoses (pcv hoses are what I saw the most). I can't feel or hear any issues with my car, but that's about as far as my "expertise" goes.

So with the knowledge that I'm not having any idling issues, and that there was that odd and temporary "fix" that took place with the gas cap, do you guys have any ideas as to what the issue may be? Thanks in advance!

Old 06-26-2012, 07:11 PM
Banned

Change your Purge Solenoid Valve assy.
http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/200...rge_valve.html

If the valve fails in the stuck open position, the engine will run rough and not idle correctly. If the valve fails in the closed postition, the engine will run normally and not cause any driveability related problems.

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_are_t...#ixzz1ywujCPoy

Last edited by UseYourNoggin; 06-26-2012 at 07:33 PM. Reason: link to see part
Old 06-27-2012, 03:37 AM
Super Moderator

With your engine running, hose water over the intake system and listen for any gurgling or slurping noises, this will indicate a vacuum leak.