Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.
View Poll Results: A poll
Pre-2006
4.95%
30.22%
26.37%
14.29%
12.09%
12.09%
Voters: 182. You may not vote on this poll

What year is your tire-eating Mazda5?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 02:33 PM
Default RE: UK 2008 Mazda 5 Sport - Tyre Wear ??

I am blown away that the UK versions of the Mazda 5 still have this problem. I have never heard of it happening in Canada, and our 5 (now with 15,000 kms) has not had this problem. If they can fix it for Canadians, why the heck can't they fix it for you guys?

(Maybe you just drive too hard over there )

Old 12-10-2009, 06:11 AM

I got my 09 Mazda 5 diesel sport back in the summer, was shocked to need to replace front tyres after only 8000 miles - inner edges completely bald.
Am reading through these threads but there are so many messages I can't find a good summary of what I should do.

Old 01-09-2010, 05:25 PM

i have an 06 M5 with almost 89,000 miles and I am about get my 4th set of new tires. Any suggestions beyond rotating my tires every other week?

Old 02-08-2010, 03:51 AM

I love my Mazda 5 or BIG BERTHA as i like to call her ......but...does anyone have a problem with the DPF ????? Mine is constantly flashing at me even if i give her a run and get the revs up ??!!

Old 04-01-2010, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by BCNorth
Does this tire eating problem only exist in the UK? I have an '08 Canadian Spec - not sure it it applies to me?
I am in Calgary, AB and I am also have the same tire problems. Was told today that I needed 4 new tires. I've had the bushings replaced twice in 2 years. I googled the mazda 5 tire problem and it seems to be pretty bad. Shouldn't mazda pay for this or make it part of recall? I think if enough mazda 5 owners said or wrote to the company, they might do something.

Old 04-01-2010, 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by BCNorth
I am blown away that the UK versions of the Mazda 5 still have this problem. I have never heard of it happening in Canada, and our 5 (now with 15,000 kms) has not had this problem. If they can fix it for Canadians, why the heck can't they fix it for you guys?

(Maybe you just drive too hard over there )
I'm in Calgary, AB. How did you get mazda to fix the problem with the tires? did they replace them with something better? did they acknowledge that there was a problem? I have to replace all 4 tires. I've had the bushings replaced twice in 2 years.

Old 04-05-2010, 04:38 PM
Default This car could kill!

I am shocked that Mazda are still being allowed to produce this car given that this is a potentially lethal problem with a family car!! The initial thread about tyrewear started in january 2007 and here we are 3 years later and there is still a problem! Now we have this thread being started and highlighting wear on newer models so this problem has not been resolved! I have also posted this message in the original thread. My husband and I had known about this problem but wrongly assumed that the problem had been resolved. We bought a mazda 5 57 sport diesel in Nov 2007. In jan 2010 it went in for its second service and we were informed by the garage that this was abnormal tyre wear and they couldn't let us drive home as the problem was so bad! I have attached our photos. We as a family could have been easily killed as we had been due to drive on the motorway a few weeks earlier but thankfully the trip had been cancelled. In reading through the posts and also the dealings that we have had with Mazda we believe that they are a completely dishonest and unscrupulous company. There is no consistency with what mileage they say to expect from these tyres. They have written in our letter that Dunlop changed the compound of the tyres and they changed the geometry of the car as from september 2007. I spoke to a Peter in the technical department in Dunlop who has stated that "we are unaware of any change to our tyres". This incencesed us as we feel that Mazda are lying to the customers. We felt that strongly about the safety of this car that we got rid of ours but I am aware that others may not be in as fortunate a position to be able to get rid of theirs. The scary part of this wear is that unless you get under the car you cannot see the wear as it is on the inner edge of the tyres!
I have sent a block email to vosa, rospa, dft, watchdog, tonight, channel 4, channel 5, sky news, scottish parliament, local MSP, which and numerous newspapers. I have also emailed the Prime Minister. I believe this problem needs to go public as mazda are still refusing to accept there is a serious problem. I hope other who read this will also follow my lead and email as many media outlets. I am aware others have emailed watchdog but I can't believe why they haven't taken on this story yet! Will it take a family to be killed before these cars are recalled!!

Attached Thumbnails  What year is your tire-eating Mazda5?-damage-tyre-1.jpg    What year is your tire-eating Mazda5?-damge-tyre-2.jpg    What year is your tire-eating Mazda5?-damge-tyre-3.jpg    What year is your tire-eating Mazda5?-looks-legal-.jpg  
Old 04-06-2010, 08:57 AM
Default Mazda 5 tire problems

To AIMWO4,

My mazda 5 is also a 2007 (bought December 31, 2007) which also has the tire problems. Having to change the bushings on the car should have raised a red flag but I guess they are putting a bandaid on the problem instead of fixing it. Before this issue I never had problems with Mazda. I also own a 1994 mazda protege which still runs like a dream. No issues at all. Mazda was good to me so that is why I bought another mazda.

I am going to write to CBC's Market place, W5, Consumer watch, etc. I'm sure Mazda is aware of this problem but unless we do like the Toyota owners with their brake problems, there is not much they will do to correct the problem. Mazda 5 owners need to make a lot of noise or else nothing will be done about this issue.

I will be putting the 5 back in the garage and putting minimum insurance on it and take out the protege because I don't feel safe driving my 5. Its a new car and it shouldn't have these problems with it.

Old 04-11-2010, 09:26 PM

2008 Mazda5 here in Houston, TX. My wife just had to put the big yellow spare on the rear. The good ol'boy that stopped to helped her quickly looked at the other rear tire. Guees y'all shouldn't be suprised at what is wrong with the rear tires on our Mazda5.

Old 04-12-2010, 03:16 PM
Default Mazda Campaign - I think we have all had enough!

Hi everyone,

I have been reading through your posts. Even though i do not own a Mazda 5, I sympathise for everyone. I own a Mazda 6 2008 version, on 2 occasions this car has nearly killed me - firstly, my tyre valves blew up without warning & secondly my engine over-ran nearly killing me in an instant hitting 100mph+ before i got it to stop.

My tyres on the 6 have near enough completely worn out and yet i get the blame for driving in a wrong manner. Ok now to my anger and which led me to start a campaign.

With my tyre valve snapping, Mazda dealers & Mazda Motors uk did not care and blew this off! by saying i had bad curb damage to my alloys, i have pictures to prove i had NOT hit the curb, but yet they write me letters with out of warranty repairs because of sufficient evidence of curb damage?

This is the big one & I won’t go too much into detail, my engine over-ran which just means without warning the engine revs hit MAX and being in 4th gear in a 2.0tdi the speed picks up real quick, hitting 100mph I see a sign 700yrds away from a roundabout i was forced to switch the engine off at that speed and swerve my way over the lanes to avoid hitting the roundabout, coming so close to hit these cars and nearly going down a ditch (as the brakes and steering go heavy when the engine is switched off) - coming to Mazda’s explanation!

1. I am not driving the car how it should be driven
2. I am only doing short journeys when the car is designed for long journeys only
3. I didn’t check the oil levels & we have proof to say so by looking at the dip stick (funny that, because RAC last checked it when I broke down)
4. I ignored all warning lights (I have proof to say no warning lights were on)
5. I must have gone to the petrol station and filled my engine oil up with diesel which caused the engine over-run... excuse me?
6. I did not read the hand book which states how the DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) works; I got heavily questioned on this subject.

Honestly, I can go on. I have been without my car for 10 months now and its sitting on my drive un-drivable mainly because me and my family are NOT getting in a car that can/would kill us. I have a strong set of research and public that is already backing me up in relation to Mazda UK's assumptions & money grabbing techniques.

Like the rest of you, i have contacted VOSA (no joy), watchdog, all newspapers you could think of, VSA, Japan, Directors, managers etc. One thing I have got some luck in, is my local MP. I told him about my Mazda campaign and he seems interested in it but I need a mass of emails describing everyone’s problems, what happened and what response they got from Mazda if any.

As I already have emails coming through already I am still in the process of designing the campaign site which should be up in a week’s time or so, but mean while you can visit it at: www.mazda-campaign.co.uk and print off the flyer if you can or just read through it, it has our email address on it.

I STRONGLY believe if we all come together we can make our voices heard! And force Mazda to recall all of these problems before someone gets seriously hurt. I am willing to go to any length even if it means flying to Japans head office to put everyone’s points across; all I need is everyone’s support and evidence.

If you cannot visit the site, please email on: contact@mazda-campaign.co.uk

Thank you & i look forward in hearing from you.

Mehdi - www.mazda-campaign.co.uk

Last edited by medievil2008; 04-13-2010 at 07:37 AM.

Quick Reply: What year is your tire-eating Mazda5?