Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

Tyre wear on UK Mazda5

Old 05-05-2009, 01:35 AM

Originally Posted by aligloo
Go on then- maybe it will cheer me up!!
Incidentally, does your car clunk/thud about 10 secs after pulling away for the first time every day?? I've now been told its feature not a fault!!
Yes, "they all do that sir" !!!

Old 05-05-2009, 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by wrxseeker
Dads_taxi,

Any chance you could post these figure again please and also update us on the tyre wear now (if you still come on here !!)
Hiya, I'm not as frequent a visitor as I was, mainly due to most issues with the car having resolved themselves (despite Mazda UK)

Tyre wear update: Since the original Dunlops were replaced with Bridgestones, I have only seen even wear across all 4 tyres. Car has now done 48,000 miles and two weeks ago the second pair of Bridgestones were ready for replacement, having done about 8000 on the back, then maybe 10,000 on the front - to be honest I've been so confident about the tyre wear issue being a thing of the past that my record keeping has not been as good as it could be. I'm now experimenting with other brands to see if Bridgestones are the bees knees or if the Dunlops were just to blame. Currently have Michelin on the back, and cheap 75 quid chinese things on the front - quite an expensive experiment but I'll let you all know how they wear.

Hope the attached picture is readable - some very small print on it.

Attached Thumbnails Tyre wear on UK Mazda5-mazda2align.jpg  
Old 05-05-2009, 08:38 AM

Aligloo,
apart from the tyre wear we had:
Blown rear shock
DPF problems, kept clogging and would not regenerate#
Oil level problems, too high##
A banshee living in the power steering*
A rear door which moaned and groaned all day long**
Alloys that corroded
Autonomous driver's electric window switch

# our driving style apparently

## "cured" with a shorter dipstick

* Took several visits before any approach at a repair was made

**after taking this problem to the dealer, they dismantled the inner door cover on the lock, exposing all of the greasey workings and unable to operate from the inside (guess which bit of the car the kids usually sit in?). They handed the car back like this until spares arrived.

I would genuinely have liked that car, if I had had the same dealer response as with other car makes I have had. Performance as a tow car was exemplary. Often the dealers hands were tied by MMUK I believe. It got so that I would worry what would go wrong next every time I turned the key, so it had to go.

Old 05-05-2009, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Dads_Taxi
Hiya, I'm not as frequent a visitor as I was, mainly due to most issues with the car having resolved themselves (despite Mazda UK)

Tyre wear update: Since the original Dunlops were replaced with Bridgestones, I have only seen even wear across all 4 tyres. Car has now done 48,000 miles and two weeks ago the second pair of Bridgestones were ready for replacement, having done about 8000 on the back, then maybe 10,000 on the front - to be honest I've been so confident about the tyre wear issue being a thing of the past that my record keeping has not been as good as it could be. I'm now experimenting with other brands to see if Bridgestones are the bees knees or if the Dunlops were just to blame. Currently have Michelin on the back, and cheap 75 quid chinese things on the front - quite an expensive experiment but I'll let you all know how they wear.

Hope the attached picture is readable - some very small print on it.
Thanks - the figures look to tie in with what I was told they should be.

Hopefully a change of tyre brand will benefit everyone also.

Old 05-05-2009, 03:38 PM

Oh dear- poor u!!
I definitely think I've got off lightly ( so far at least...)

Old 05-08-2009, 02:33 AM

We recently bought our TS2 Mazda5 (2006 model) and I made sure we checked the service history before we handed over the cash. It's got the 16" wheels and looking at the history has had new tyres at 18,500 and 37,000 miles. So, as has been suggested in other threads, it seems our 16" model doesn't suffer with the tyre wear problem.

Anyway I just thought it worth me posting this info (maybe this forum would benefit from another poll such as "if your mazda eats tyres, what size wheels are fitted?"). I expect most people with the problem have 17" wheels but I had to read through several threads to come to this conclusion.

Cheers

Last edited by mr_jolly; 05-08-2009 at 02:36 AM. Reason: typo
Old 05-08-2009, 11:38 AM

Well if any of you want a laugh, follow this link. Sadly I think they might believe what they're saying. http://www.easier.com/view/News/Moto...le-247449.html

Old 05-09-2009, 02:48 AM

I know some of the owners have had the tyre wear problem but we've covered 14000 miles now with no excessive wear on the front or rear tyres, so it must be an adjustable alignment issue.
We had to have the turbo replaced due to the MIL lamp coming on and a rear shock absorber replaced which had started knocking but both of these were sorted out quickly and painlessly by the dealer. Unfortunately, mechanical and electronic things do fail but I've no reason to think the Mazda 5 won't be a reliable and inexpensive car to run. Other manufacturers have much worse reliability issues. If you want get to know a dealer well buy a VW or an Audi and even Hondas go wrong occasionally.

Old 05-10-2009, 03:46 PM

What year and model is yours? Also are the tyres the Dunlop 2050?
Nice to hear something positive!

Old 05-11-2009, 04:52 AM
Default Just checked inner edges...

Hi all,

Have been reading your posts for a while now and decided to have a good look at the inner edges of my front tyres...

I was horrified to see serious wear. My car is a 2008 Sport Diesel. Mileage 15600.

I have posted a couple of pictures for you to look at. 1 pic from each front tyre.

What do you guys suggest. Is going in to my dealer the best and first option ?

Cheers

David

Attached Thumbnails Tyre wear on UK Mazda5-img_2238.jpg   Tyre wear on UK Mazda5-img_2242.jpg  

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tyre wear on UK Mazda5