Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

Tyre wear on UK Mazda5

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 10:50 AM
Default RE: Tyre wear on UK Mazda 5

Re Excessive Front Tyre Wear
Took the car to the dealer this morning (car dealer that is) and had it confirmed that the alignment is within specifications therefore tracking is not the issue. Service Manager contacted MMUK immediately (when they answered the telephone that is) and was told that currently there is no record of problems with excessive and premature front tyre wear, but that rear tyre wear is being monitored. Contacted MMUK Customer Services by telephone but would like to back it up in writing. Does anyone have the address of Customer Services (AKA Complaints Dept) as it is cunningly concealed on their web site, so cunningly that I can't find it.

Thanks, in anticipation of a reply.

Dave M

Old 03-12-2007, 12:08 PM

At 10,000 milesI was very worried about the uneven wear and took it to the dealers who told me it was fine. At 12000 miles I took it back to another Mazda dealer. They charged me £60 for tracking and told me all 4 tyres we NOT legal, hence all 4 tyres had to be replaced At another £550. Il lease this vehicle and will be returning it back to Mazda as soon as I can get out the lease. regards Kev.

Old 03-12-2007, 07:52 PM

Dave,

Oh yes they do have logged case of front tyre wear - MINE, and have just paid out towards two sets of tyres. Nicole seems to be the woman who knows all at MMUK about this, get the dealer to contact her.

Mazda motors UK ltd
Riverbridge House
Anchor Boulevard
Dartford
Kent
DA2 6QH.

Helen

Old 03-13-2007, 08:24 AM
SB5

Just had dealer ring, update - MMUK have recognised the rear tyres problem and issued a bulllitin to dealers last week.
Dealer has to take tread measurements and work out % wear and then negotiate this with customer.
The rear tyres on pics have achieved 80% refund by MMUK and the dealer ( Donalds Peterborough) is throwing in a further 20% for rear tyres + free tracking and alignment - to set at 2mm toe in.
But MMUK are not recognising front wear at all and so having to pay for this myself - an issue to take up with MMUK as this is a bill for £229.00 which I did not expect for atleast 30k miles - my other car is a Fabia and it has done 46k on a set of orginal tyres - Michelins.
Any clues about this on how to approach MMUK wold be well recieved.

Old 03-13-2007, 07:21 PM

What I can't understand is how often do the tyres get rotated? Surely more than every 12k miles. Wouldn't it be plausible to have similar wear issues on front as on rear?

I had a Saab 9-5 wagon that had rear wear issue (along with many others). We drove no more than 5K miles between rotations. It didn't matter what brand of tyre I had.

Old 03-13-2007, 08:43 PM

This is completely confusing, as I received a cheque yesterday paying out for 4 tyres, all having been on the front!!!

why are mmuk paying percentage and some dealers making up the difference?

why are some people getting everything paid, some a percentage and some nothing??????

come on mazda, start singing a consistant song and stop making it up as you go along!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-13-2007, 09:54 PM

It seems I am in good company. I have a Mazda 5 2.0D Sport, new in September '06, with virtually worn-through inside edges on my FRONT tyres.
I noticed this about 6 weeks ago, at approx 8500 miles, and immediately contacted my dealer, Lythgoe in Bolton. They are like a stuck record, repeatedly telling me that wheel alignment problems are NOT covered by warranty. I have agreed to pay the 40 quid to have the alignment adjusted, but the problem they have is that they have no data on the actual specifications for wheel alignment on the Mazda 5 Sport, so don't know what angleto set the wheels to. I've had two wasted journeys to Bolton at 40 miles per round trip, on one occassion sitting around for two hours whilst the technicians searched in vain for the correct specs for the car. Consequently I've been driving around causing more damage to the tyreswhilst corresponding with Mazda UK who tell me that "wheel alignment problems are NOT covered by warranty" !!
This really is driving me mad, and is not at all what I expected from Mazda.
Mazda UK's customer sevices department have now assured me that by my next appointment in Bolton, the necessary data will be available and the wheels will be adjusted correctly. Ha! having read this forum I'm not so sure they know what exactly the correct settings are.
I will let you all know how my case progresses. Has anyone out theretried contacting a newspaper motoring correspondant regarding this?
Whilst I'm having a rant, I'll also mention the alarming creaks and groans from the suspension in very cold weather (below about2C).
The stereo's blooming fantastic though!!!!

Old 03-14-2007, 05:02 PM

Just had my Mazda 5 L/E Furano (same as 2.0 Sport c/w full body kit), back from dealer service. what a surprise..! Rear tyres worn on inside edge, fronts better, but still appear to have premature wear after 13,7000 mls. Guy who returned car said garage wanted to speak to me, so called them & spoke to guy in service dept who advised that i need to speak to someone else & that the would get him to call back before close of play today. No call came..! Decoded to Google "Mazda 5 tyre wear", & hear I am..! Garage have advised that I (My company) would have to pay a percentage of the cost of replacing rear tyres & that front also need replacing, at cost. Also said that getting hold of these is difficult but hope to get some from Newport (Wales). Company car so wont personally be out of pocket but all the same not good. Upside - don't have the suspension or wind noise troubles if heard about!

Old 03-16-2007, 07:04 PM

Just boughta newFurano last week, and then read all this - oh dear. Dealer seemed to be pushing it big style as I wanted the TS2. He gave me a good deal so I thought why not. When I test drove the sport diesel (sales guys own car) it pulled like mad on the motorway and I was actually tired after 30 minutes fighting it. I mentioned it to him and he of course denied all knowledge, but I just figured he needed his tracking sorting. I must admit I am not finding the thought of forking out 500 quid for tyres every year particularly appealing. My 3-Series tyres cost 300 quid and last 50K. We've had no suspension noises so far and it seems fairly quiet compared to some of your experiences. It does drive really well and no speed bump noises, but is this something that's likely to develop over the first few thousand miles?
The plastic retainer for the rear middle seat belt has fallen out though. The salesmans' incredulous reaction made me laugh, as I'd read this is pretty much a standard event.
Short question is, have I made a big mistake? It has everything we need, but I don't like the idea of my wife and kids testing just how good the curtain airbags are after a motorway blowout.

Old 03-17-2007, 07:31 AM

Strikes me that there is definitely a different quality of service depending upon which dealer you are dealing with. However, this said if one dealer can manage to get Mazda UK to fund the repairs etc, and replace worn tyres. Front and rear.....
All dealers should be able to do so.
As I said to the Dealer Principle at my dealers, they have a duty of care to ensure that the product THEY are selling is fit for purpose. obviously worn tyres apart from being illegal are downright dangerous!
Fortunately he agreed......
MMUK and the delightful Nicole..... They need to go further than a bulletin. They need to issue a full recall and get the problem sorted once and for all.

My advice to all of you is to stick by your rights and demand the dealer foots all costs and then it is up to them to negociate with MMUK to cover their loss, rather than a humble customer trying to do the same.

Quick Reply: Tyre wear on UK Mazda5