Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

Towing with Mazda 5

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 11:07 AM
Default Towing with Mazda 5

Hi All, Just ordered our '08 Mazda 5. Salesman says not to tow with it, but realistically, can you tow anything with this vehicle and if so, what weight restrictions would you imagine apply? Was thinking about a small tent trailer or small boat.

Thx.

Old 03-30-2008, 02:02 PM
Default RE: Towing with Mazda 5

I am assuming you are from across the "pond", but in UK I tow with a 5 diesel and it is an awesome towcar. It got a rating of 4/5 in the UK Tow Car Of The Year awards. The lengthy wheelbase and firmish suspension give it a really planted feel. The van I tow is 1100Kg and four people on board and performance is "brisk" so I would think your GT will be more than adequate. Towing limit on the diesel is around 1400 Kg.

Regards,

Dave

Old 03-30-2008, 06:14 PM
Super Moderator

BC, I have a Draw-Tite on my 3, which is basically thesame car and drive train you'll have in the 5,and it'srated @ Class II 2000lbs (907.8 Kgms.)I have towed with it, a small trailer that was more heavily loadedthan I would've liked and we took it from Pennsylvania back to Texas (1640+ miles, 2644Kms)w/us. I don't recommend doing that, but a small, lighter-weight trailer pulled locally should be OK. Be aware though that should problems develop because of the hitch, the dealer may chose to void those parts of your warranty and refuse service.
This was the day after we got home.

Name:  CIMG0001W.jpg
Views: 13804
Size:  92.6 KB

Old 04-01-2008, 10:30 PM

I've checked out the options on etrailer.com for my '08 Mazda5. I don't plan to tow, only for attaching a four-bicycle carrier (Thule I think). Fully loaded it would probably be 150 lbs (the hitches are rated at 200 lb tongue weight).

Any reason to believe that a carrier with that weight bouncing on the hitch would impact stability of the vehicle? I used the carrier previously no problemon a Saab 9-5 which is a much heavier vehicle.

Thanks for any insight into this. I just don't have a good feel for it...

Old 04-02-2008, 02:02 PM
Super Moderator

Correct Tom, 200lb tongue weight. I don't think you'll have any problems.
If you do, you could always get a smalltrailer for around $400 (4'x8') which should redistribute the weight a bit more evenly, but I doubt you'll have to go that route.

Just my .02.

Old 06-01-2011, 10:28 AM
Default 2012 Mazda 5 towing

I just purchased a 2012 Mazda 5, had a hitch put on and pull my 16ft aluminum boat with 75 hp motor and a kicker motor. Have had no problem towing so far and pulling the boat out of the launch ramp was no problem either. I would recommend staying in 4th gear on the highway.

Old 06-01-2011, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by jolly roger
I just purchased a 2012 Mazda 5, had a hitch put on and pull my 16ft aluminum boat with 75 hp motor and a kicker motor. Have had no problem towing so far and pulling the boat out of the launch ramp was no problem either. I would recommend staying in 4th gear on the highway.

I was going to suggest that as well, a small aluminum/fiberglass boat or a jet ski (maybe two, and DAMN VIRGIN THAT LOOKS LIKE ONE HELL OF A LOAD!!!! my props to Mazda!!) and yes 4th gear would be best, unless you come across a nice flat stretch.

Old 11-26-2012, 11:41 PM
Default Mazda 5 rear hitch. Bike Rack & Caro Tray.

My M5..08 Touring. Has done it all. I carry 4 bikes on a Thule 914 bike rack. Forget bounce, hitch will hold. They recommend 3bikes. Oh well! No issues. I have placed 175 Lbs. On my cargo tray from Miami FLA to Maggie Valley N.C. Winter, no need for bikes or roof gear box. No issues. I also have air bags in my rear springs. To avoid rear lag. No need if only planning to carry bikes. Firestone makes them for the Mazda5...Google it. Air bags inside rear springs take the stress off rear. Better handling and braking. I have placed a Thule gear box on roof (21Cub/inches) With the bikes in the back..Smooth. Now I'm considering pulling a Pop up camper and at Times a 17 ft Johnboat. With a 15 HP in rear of boat? Now that I see a Mazda 3. I'm going for it. I will consider adding a transmission cooler. I plan to tow camper into GA & N.C. Now this depends. I will test pull with friends camper. Same camper plan to purchase. If it feels OK. I'll place a transmission cooler. I'll also weld rear hitch to actual beam support in rear. Go for it, the bikes will be fine.

Originally Posted by tombokev
I've checked out the options on etrailer.com for my '08 Mazda5. I don't plan to tow, only for attaching a four-bicycle carrier (Thule I think). Fully loaded it would probably be 150 lbs (the hitches are rated at 200 lb tongue weight).

Any reason to believe that a carrier with that weight bouncing on the hitch would impact stability of the vehicle? I used the carrier previously no problemon a Saab 9-5 which is a much heavier vehicle.

Thanks for any insight into this. I just don't have a good feel for it...

Old 01-14-2013, 12:01 AM

glad to see so many "real-world"drivers who use their cars for everyday duties and not live their cars as some weak,better do only as presribed puny,delicate commuter!i'm getting out of a 93 audi 100 and taking my class 1 hitch to my 06 5 sport,tomorrow morn!anyone need audi parts quickly let me know

Old 01-14-2013, 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by mazda5speed
glad to see so many "real-world"drivers who use their cars for everyday duties and not live their cars as some weak,better do only as presribed puny,delicate commuter!i'm getting out of a 93 audi 100 and taking my class 1 hitch to my 06 5 sport,tomorrow morn!anyone need audi parts quickly let me know
I wouldn't tow anything with my 3, just not enough power in mine to make it worth the hassle of being the slowest thing on the road.

Quick Reply: Towing with Mazda 5