Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

Service Interval

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 01:20 AM
Default RE: Service Interval

It appears I can only post a few words!

Old 06-14-2008, 01:21 AM

......at a time.

Old 06-14-2008, 01:30 AM

For some reason I can only post a few words at a time!

David, I hope your problem with power delivery is just a case of getting used to it and not a fault with your car.

We're averaging 42 mpg over 4 tanks and the computer's been showing 40.8 mpg, so I'm pleased with that. The miles remaining function isn't too accurate though, we had been running on zero for about 40 miles and still had around 7 litres left when I filled it up.

I'd be wary of buying an auto in these days of high fuel pricess they do tend to be a bit thirsty.

Nick

Old 06-14-2008, 01:33 AM

I can post now, but the forums adding apostrophies!

Old 06-14-2008, 04:04 AM

Hey Nick

Just been checking the mpg on my car today... The car is showing 41mpg, but after working out an actual amount im coming out with 37mpg !! Im a little peeved to be honest. I thought the sort of driving im doing... (70 miles a day..35 motorway/35 town) I should getting higher figures than that !!.. I will give it a few more weeks though as see if it increases.

Also, I was in my local Mazda dealer the other day and noticed the servicing costs for the car. Diesel, 1st service £389 !! Petrol version £171. 2nd service wasn't much better if I remember.. about £290.. At this rate I should have gone for the petrol version !!

Sorry about the whining but I did have higher expectations of a diesel car... The servicing is down to me though!! I should have checked the prices before I bought it..

David

Old 06-14-2008, 12:31 PM

David, 37 does seem a bit low especially if you're doing 35miles of motorway driving a day. See how it goes and get the dealer to check for problems if it doesn't improve. I didn't check the servicing prices either and if it's that expensive I'll do it myself. A first service on a modern car should really only be an oil and filter change together with a general check over.

Old 06-15-2008, 12:48 AM

I've just checked the service schedule and the valve clearances need to be checked on the diesel at 12500 and then at 75000 miles. This will add a bit to the labour and a gasket. The other reason for the higher cost will be the oil. I believe the diesel needs a fully synthetic diesel oil which a Mazda dealer will be charging a fortune for. If this is the case supply your own oil which you should be able to buy much cheaper from a motor factors.

Old 06-17-2008, 01:11 PM

Aha, valve clearances, that's what I was trying to remember back on page 1 of this thread.

Phone around the Mazda dealers regarding service prices, they all make them up themselves.

Dave.

Old 07-02-2008, 09:57 AM

David, how are thing with your 5? Are they improving?

Old 09-24-2008, 08:10 AM

Hello Nick

Sorry for the time its taken me to reply.. Hows your M5 ?

I have had a terrible time of late with mine !! I wont bore you with all the details... but after a couple of weeks owning it some ****** decided to drive into it, without stopping. The damage wasn't too bad, but it shook the wife up a bit. Had to make a claim on our insurance. After paying the excess (150), got home only to discover one of the tyres had a nail in it !! Right on the edge, and not where it can be repaired. I was horrified at the prices of the tyres... In the end managed to get the same tyre, fitted for 120.

In respect of the car, I am still getting awful mpg. Like i said before, I am doing 300-400 miles a week. Half of that is on the motorway, and I'm lucky to get an average of 39mpg. What about you..?

Also, I hate the stiff clutch and the notchy, heavy gear change...... The wife LOVES the reversing camera though !!!

David

Quick Reply: Service Interval