Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

back to Mazda family after 8 years..

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 04:59 PM
Default back to Mazda family after 8 years..

Just boought brand new 2012 Mazda5 Touring with Crystal White Pearl Mica

My wife and I was looking for a new family vehicle to replace her 2007 Hyundai Elantra for last few months. Originally we've decided to go with 2010 Mazda5 Touring in white but when we lost the chance to get the last white one from our region (Pacific Northwest) we decided to take a closer look on the 2012s. We wanted the 2010 because of the amazing deals that we can get, but whea we drove the 2012 last night, it was clear that 2012 was a better all around vehicle. We still DO prefer the exterior styling of 2010 but we like the interior, new engine, and the drive experience on 2012 much better.
A local dealer gave me the new 2012 for $700 under invoice and TOP dollar for our trade-in and we coudln't be any more happier with the purchase.

My first NEW car that I bought my own was 2002 Mazda Protege5 which I loved untill the vehicle was stolen and never recovered.
We will miss her Hyundai (never ever gave us any problem and amazing MPG around 34) but I look forward to enjoy our new vehicle for many years to come.

The picture isn't the acutal car but looks just like it:

Old 02-26-2011, 06:03 PM

hi i agree with you the 2012 mazda5 is a way better van than the 2010s i have a 2012 mazda 5 i like the bigger motor i like the looks of the mazda5 the seats are what sold me on buying the mazda 5 the seats are not hard like the old mazda 5 seats and there bigger and the heated seats before mazda heated seats sucked .. and i like the gas milage.. i dont know about you but gas just went up to $3.40 a gal. here enjpoy your new van i have had mine foe 27 days now and i have 1,200 miles on it . spencerfvee
Originally Posted by nom605
Just boought brand new 2012 Mazda5 Touring with Crystal White Pearl Mica

My wife and I was looking for a new family vehicle to replace her 2007 Hyundai Elantra for last few months. Originally we've decided to go with 2010 Mazda5 Touring in white but when we lost the chance to get the last white one from our region (Pacific Northwest) we decided to take a closer look on the 2012s. We wanted the 2010 because of the amazing deals that we can get, but whea we drove the 2012 last night, it was clear that 2012 was a better all around vehicle. We still DO prefer the exterior styling of 2010 but we like the interior, new engine, and the drive experience on 2012 much better.
A local dealer gave me the new 2012 for $700 under invoice and TOP dollar for our trade-in and we coudln't be any more happier with the purchase.

My first NEW car that I bought my own was 2002 Mazda Protege5 which I loved untill the vehicle was stolen and never recovered.
We will miss her Hyundai (never ever gave us any problem and amazing MPG around 34) but I look forward to enjoy our new vehicle for many years to come.

The picture isn't the acutal car but looks just like it:

Old 02-26-2011, 07:31 PM

I agree that the Mazda 5 needed a bit more power, however, that ridiculous nose is a complete turn off for me, (strictly my opinion). But welcome back to Mazda!!! Oh by the way... we have an 08 model and we love it!!! Enjoy your new ride!!!

Old 02-26-2011, 11:21 PM
Default Mazda5 is Perfect!

A little over a week ago we hadn't heard of the Mazda5 and today we wondered how we could have missed it.

Out story started last month when our Volkswagen Passat started eating us alive financially. Fearing further expenses we trudged to downtown Chicago with the multitudes of Chicagoans to attend the Chicago auto show in search of our next car. We really had our hearts set on the Toyota Prius because of its great milage. I had test drove prior to attending the show an thought it was a bit slow but to be expected for the great mileage. We went with another couple to the show and we went our separate ways once we got there so we could each see what we were interested in. My wife and I went pretty slow looking at all the cars. We kind of liked the Nissan Rogue, the Hyundai Sante Fe and Honda CRV but really weren't that impress with the mileage considering the rising price of gas. These were SUV's and seriously unless you live on dirt roads or they never plow the snow off your street, what's the point. We also checked out the Chevy Volt but could believe how small the interior was. Our friends covered the whole show and called us on their cell saying they were ready to leave. We hadn't got the back of the show where Mazda and a couple of others were but we thought we'll skip Mazda thinking they weren't that great and probably had nothing to offer. Besides by this point we were overwhelmed with all the cars we'd seen.

The other reason our friends wanted to leave was that they were going to pick up a used car they had prearranged since it was on the way home. So we rolled up to a Mazda/Subaru dealer to buy his used muscle car for the summer. While we were waiting for his paperwork to be completed we looked around the show floor and saw the Mazda5. At first we weren't sure if it was a minivan or a car but it looked interesting. So we opened the door and sat inside. We really liked it. It kind of reminded me of the 80's GM Transport but with a whole lot more styling. The more we checked it out the more we liked it so we asked for a test drive and that cinched it. I asked my friend's two sons to come along for the ride to see how it would handle under load and it had great acceleration and handling despite the weight. The best part was the price was really reasonable with an unbelievable array of features/creature comforts compared to other cars we had looked at that day. The fit and finish were superb with all the doors shutting like the fine German cars. I know this may sound strange but even the plastic felt high quality something we didn't like in the Hyundai's we looked at.

The Mazda5 is in a class by its itself not being an econobox or a gnormous minivan and that's what makes it a winner in my estimation. In fact I read that the Mazda5 is the size of the original Caravan before it got pregnant. So long story short we bought it last week through our Costco auto program and are the proud owners of the Mazda5 Grand Touring white pearl mica with the sand interior. This is the fastest I've ever bought a car in my life so I did a lot of post shopping after the fact to validate my decision. Since it only came out last moth I had to rely on the car reviewer and they all were pleasantly pleased with it. After finding this forum I see others feel as I do that it's a great car or van or whatever it is.

Ok about the styling... I really like it. So what if it has a smiley face. I think we're all wound a little too tightly around the axle and seeing a smile coming down the road might just lift someones spirits in our crabby world. Besides what should be on the front a Cobra style grill like it's some fire breathing dragster. Come'on it's got a 2.5 liter that does a decent job so why try to pretend it something that it's not. The Mazda5 is just a happy little van that performs miracles! This is a sleeper car that Mazda needs to advertise, but then, nah. It's nice to be part of a select few rather than part of the minivan herd. It's nice to be able to find your car easily in a parking lot. I'm glad to be part of the forum and looking forward to learning together with other inspired Mazda5 owners.

If you're on the fence reading this forum, just buy it. You won't go wrong.

Old 02-26-2011, 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by davidandamyh
A little over a week ago we hadn't heard of the Mazda5 and today we wondered how we could have missed it.

Out story started last month when our Volkswagen Passat started eating us alive financially. Fearing further expenses we trudged to downtown Chicago with the multitudes of Chicagoans to attend the Chicago auto show in search of our next car. We really had our hearts set on the Toyota Prius because of its great milage. I had test drove prior to attending the show an thought it was a bit slow but to be expected for the great mileage. We went with another couple to the show and we went our separate ways once we got there so we could each see what we were interested in. My wife and I went pretty slow looking at all the cars. We kind of liked the Nissan Rogue, the Hyundai Sante Fe and Honda CRV but really weren't that impress with the mileage considering the rising price of gas. These were SUV's and seriously unless you live on dirt roads or they never plow the snow off your street, what's the point. We also checked out the Chevy Volt but could believe how small the interior was. Our friends covered the whole show and called us on their cell saying they were ready to leave. We hadn't got the back of the show where Mazda and a couple of others were but we thought we'll skip Mazda thinking they weren't that great and probably had nothing to offer. Besides by this point we were overwhelmed with all the cars we'd seen.

The other reason our friends wanted to leave was that they were going to pick up a used car they had prearranged since it was on the way home. So we rolled up to a Mazda/Subaru dealer to buy his used muscle car for the summer. While we were waiting for his paperwork to be completed we looked around the show floor and saw the Mazda5. At first we weren't sure if it was a minivan or a car but it looked interesting. So we opened the door and sat inside. We really liked it. It kind of reminded me of the 80's GM Transport but with a whole lot more styling. The more we checked it out the more we liked it so we asked for a test drive and that cinched it. I asked my friend's two sons to come along for the ride to see how it would handle under load and it had great acceleration and handling despite the weight. The best part was the price was really reasonable with an unbelievable array of features/creature comforts compared to other cars we had looked at that day. The fit and finish were superb with all the doors shutting like the fine German cars. I know this may sound strange but even the plastic felt high quality something we didn't like in the Hyundai's we looked at.

The Mazda5 is in a class by its itself not being an econobox or a gnormous minivan and that's what makes it a winner in my estimation. In fact I read that the Mazda5 is the size of the original Caravan before it got pregnant. So long story short we bought it last week through our Costco auto program and are the proud owners of the Mazda5 Grand Touring white pearl mica with the sand interior. This is the fastest I've ever bought a car in my life so I did a lot of post shopping after the fact to validate my decision. Since it only came out last moth I had to rely on the car reviewer and they all were pleasantly pleased with it. After finding this forum I see others feel as I do that it's a great car or van or whatever it is.

Ok about the styling... I really like it. So what if it has a smiley face. I think we're all wound a little too tightly around the axle and seeing a smile coming down the road might just lift someones spirits in our crabby world. Besides what should be on the front a Cobra style grill like it's some fire breathing dragster. Come'on it's got a 2.5 liter that does a decent job so why try to pretend it something that it's not. The Mazda5 is just a happy little van that performs miracles! This is a sleeper car that Mazda needs to advertise, but then, nah. It's nice to be part of a select few rather than part of the minivan herd. It's nice to be able to find your car easily in a parking lot. I'm glad to be part of the forum and looking forward to learning together with other inspired Mazda5 owners.

If you're on the fence reading this forum, just buy it. You won't go wrong.

I will both agree and disagree with you (keep in mind this is only my opinion) from what I hear the engine upgrade is a plus, just have to work out a few bugs, which is to be expected. as for the smiley face... RIDICULOUS!!! I know I don't stand alone on the nose issue, but by all means... if you like it then go and get it. and enjoy... will look forward to seeing you on here. if you're thinking of performance parts, most Mazda 3 parts will fit, except for springs and exhaust. if I remember correctly, Mazda speed 3 springs will be compatible, exhaust will have to be custom.

Old 02-27-2011, 03:38 AM

hi inwlf. when i bought my 2010 mazda 3. i thought the frount end sucked too but it the more i drove the car. i got used to the frount end and liked it .. mazda was smart think about this when you see that smiley face . you know right away it only can be a mazda lol.. most of the time i cant tell whos make of car is in frount of me. when i am driveing on the free way. till i got close and read the name.to me cars all look a like to me now adays and thats boring to me ... but i can always tell mazda on the free way they allways stands out from the other cars on the road lol i think the frount end on my new 2012 mazda 5 is more nicer than my old mazda 3 . i think we all should start a smiley face club .and have tee shirts and hats that say i drive a smiley face or put a smile on your face drive a maszda 5 .and on the back of the shirt have a big picture of a mazda 5 frount end smileying at you lol god i have to much time on my hands lol winter cabin feaver just my two cents inwlf you have a smiley day spencerfvee....................................... i am sure others can come up with better sayings
Originally Posted by lnwlf
I will both agree and disagree with you (keep in mind this is only my opinion) from what I hear the engine upgrade is a plus, just have to work out a few bugs, which is to be expected. as for the smiley face... RIDICULOUS!!! I know I don't stand alone on the nose issue, but by all means... if you like it then go and get it. and enjoy... will look forward to seeing you on here. if you're thinking of performance parts, most Mazda 3 parts will fit, except for springs and exhaust. if I remember correctly, Mazda speed 3 springs will be compatible, exhaust will have to be custom.

Old 02-27-2011, 08:55 AM

well, as I stated, the dislike of the nose is strictly my opinion. but I"m sure more people like it than don't because they're selling. Either way I'm not trying to turn you away from it, it's just that I do not care for it. Hope y'all enjoy your rides!!! Are the interior dimensions the same as in older models?

Old 02-27-2011, 12:38 PM

The smile might be a bit different but I'm not sure is RIDICULOUS. If you pass on a car because of its looks you could be missing its great merits. Besides because of its huge grill (smile) that's less paint to be chipped! kidding... Really if you put on a blind fold until you got in the car then removed it and took it for a spin you'd be pleasantly surprised.

As far as working out the bugs I'm not aware of any. If there are any let me know. If you're referring to the fact that its only been out a month in the first year of this design then time will tell. But for now no gotchya's, rattles, squeaks or quirks. I'm a 50 year old guy and have owned a lot of cars new and used and this is by far the best I've ever owned.

With regard to the performance parts I'll have to wait for the 3/36 to end and then I might still take a pass because it has enough get up and go for me. In fact because the ride is so smooth and quiet I find myself speeding without realizing it until I look at the speedometer.

On last thing I forgot to mention in my first post is the straight forward design of the engine compartment. They still use timing chains instead of the now popular cheaper timing belt. With my Passat I was starring at a $1500 timing belt change at 80K, something a timing chain motor doesn't need replacement for many more miles and for a lot less money. I know timing belts are suppose to me quieter. When this 2.5 idles its as quiet as a sewing machine. The engine components are laid out accessible for me to actually repair the car too, so when the alternator goes or whatever I'll at least have the option to do the work myself. When you open the hood of most new cars all you see is the plastic cover and everything beneath it is jammed in requiring special tools to gain access to the various parts.

Just another random thought. If you own an iPod/iPhone with BluTooth don't bother buying the $300.00 dock connector. I didn't realize that beside the phone the music is transmitted wirelessly too and with full steering wheel controls to change tracks. I'm used to using the dock connector from previous vehicles to get the same level of integration. I was hoping at least with the dock connector the music would sound better but actually it sounds louder and clearer with the BT with the same car stereo volume setting. So go out and buy a $20.00 cigarette plug iPhone charger and run with the BT and save $300.00 for this option. For ipods like the nano without BT use the aux jack next to the cigarette lighter and get the same cigarette plug charger.

So far I'm a happy camper without rose colored glasses. Believe me if after I own this car for a while and find out it's a piece of #%#$%^ I'm big enough to eat some crow and let you know.

Old 02-28-2011, 05:33 PM

hi inwlf the interior demensions are the same as my 2009 van the big change is the dash and the seats on the dash i feal mazda cut the cost now the grand touring has the same dash speedo as all the other mazda 5s . gone is the white face speedo and temp gauge now you have a blue light that tells you when the motor is at temp. its like the light the old 1964 GM cars had that told you the motors cold and when the motors warmed up the light goes out the seat are longer and wider now and are much softer .. the door kick panales clean up much better ..on the out side of the new van the rear tail lights are the same as the other mazda 5 gone are the LED lights allso gone is the chrome ex. tip... all these parts that are gone made the grand touring stand out from the other mazda 5 models.. my self i like gauges in a car .. i feal mazda does not offer many accessories for the mazda 5 van they need a better sound system like the 242 watt bose thats on the mazda 3 i feal a lot of guys need a mazda 5 van..to fill there needs . but would like to have that sports car too.. i feal the mazda 5 van drives and feals like a sports car some what .if mazda would put the mazda speed 3 sway bars on a mazda 5 and offer mazda speed 3 18 inch wheels on the mazda 5 van it would be a much better handleing car and more fun to drive . i like to have the best of both worlds a van and a sports car lol just my two cents spencerfvee
well, as I stated, the dislike of the nose is strictly my opinion. but I"m sure more people like it than don't because they're selling. Either way I'm not trying to turn you away from it, it's just that I do not care for it. Hope y'all enjoy your rides!!! Are the interior dimensions the same as in older models?