Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

Recall curiosity

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2006, 11:34 PM
Default Recall curiosity

Have all of the 06 Mazda 5s had the exhaust related recall performed, even if they haven't been sold? I intend to ask our dealer (we were thining of trading our 03 Saturn ION sedan for a 5 on Saturday) but I didn't realize there was a recall in the first place until long after their office closed.

Oh, and "Hiya!" cos I'm new here, obviously. LOL

Edit:
While I'm thinking about it--wast here ever a clear definition of what the problem was? I've read something about "reprograming the PCM" but I honestly can't see how reprograming the computer fixes a potential fire hazard...

Old 03-17-2006, 11:06 PM
Default RE: Recall curiosity

First off, Hiya back and welcome.

Yes, all of the 5's should have had the recall completed unless it is maybe some way backwoods dealer that relies on horse and buggy for mail. A computer reprogram was part of the recall but there were other things done as well. The main exhaust silencer was replaced with a modified one along with the 3 rubber hangers for it. The drain hole for the A/C system evaporator was eliminated out of the front heat shield by replacing it. A new heat shield was installed in the back to increase coverage around the main silencer. Few little odds and ends of other stuff but that was the main parts. Have not heard of any other problems since so the engineers must have figured out the cause and correction needed.