Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

Rear Shock Absorbers

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 07:32 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by iainso
Just had my mazda 5 diesel sport (2009, 37,000 miles) checked and they say one of the rear absorbers is 'misting' and will need replacing soon. I've also noticed dark patches under one of the rear wheels where the car is parked at night. Is this consistent with a failing shock absorber? I've not noticed anything while driving.

Is it worth replacing the shocks at the main dealer? I can get it done for half the price at kwikfit, but is there anything on the computer that needs updating when shocks are replaced (that only the main dealer could do)?
NO, no computer changes, updates required when changing shocks,

Old 09-10-2012, 05:26 AM

Quick update to my earlier posts.
My Mazda 5 is now just over 5 years old (62,000 miles) and as I write this it is on a ramp receiving it's TENTH shock absorber! Six rear and four front. I haven't emailed Mazda before but, as it's now reached double figures, I deemed it appropriate to inform them of my displeasure, so to speak!
Apart from this, the car is great!

Old 04-20-2013, 07:58 PM
Default mine still making noise even after replacing rear shocks

my 2008 mazda5 still making noise. I just fininshed replacing my rear shocks and took it for a test drive, noticed the noise emediately
what else could it be. The dealer told me that the noise was because the shocks were gone, when I took them out they seemed fine but replaced them anyways. not sure what else it could be, any ideas???
very

Old 04-21-2013, 05:44 AM

Mine has just been in for more 'knocking' problems and they changed the Wishbone Bushes which were shot to bits. It is better but there is still some knocking and clunking particularly when driving slowly over uneven roads. The garage said all seemed fine apart from these wishbone bushes. Anyway, after 10 shock absorbers I'm not replacing any more, just going to get another car, it's cheaper!

Old 04-21-2013, 05:50 AM

ps - I never did get a reply to my email to Mazda Customer Services about these problems. I received the automated mail receipt from them (thank you for contacting Mazda Customer Services etc...) but no 'human' reply. Speaks volumes I think.

Old 04-21-2013, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by gixer
my 2008 mazda5 still making noise. I just fininshed replacing my rear shocks and took it for a at to st drive, noticed the noisely
what else could it be. The dealer told me that the noise waswith. ause the shocks were gone, when I took them out they seemed fine but replaced them anyways. not sure what else it could be, any ideas???
very
You may want to check your sway bar bushings. Once I replaced mine, all the noises went away. The rears are very easy to do and are cheap to replace yourself. The fronts are a pain due to the tight area to work with.

Old 09-27-2014, 09:42 AM
Unhappy Mazda5 noise

hello all
I have been hearing noise/rattling/clunking when goin over un-even road, speed bumps, etc
I have changed my shocks/struts, the sway bars on front and back, and brake pads
I have read alot of the other the post with the above suggestions, with no avail.
Please help
thank you in advance

Old 09-30-2014, 02:38 PM
Default Rattles over bumps

My car does exactly the same. I got the garage to look into it during a recent MOT. It would appear to be the "drop links" on the front suspension. I had a quick look while it was on the ramp and they were totally loose. I do not know what they do but it cannot be too important as it still passed its MOT. The links are due to be replaced in about 2 weeks when I get back from holiday and I'll post again with the result.

Old 10-19-2014, 02:34 PM
Default Rattling over bumps update

All the noise when going over bumps has disappeared now the front "drop link" has been renewed. The Mazda receptionist called it a "drop link "but on the invoice it is just shown as a control rod. (P/N BP4K34170D). Cost about £38 plus labour. I believe it is something to do with the anti roll bar part of the suspension system.

Old 11-03-2014, 08:16 AM

I had knocking from the rear of the car when going over bumps, only 10 months after replacing the shocks. It turns out to be the rear anti-roll bar links, not too expensive to replace thankfully.