Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

Programming Remote Key Procedure - UK Models

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 05:21 AM
Default Programming Remote Key Procedure - UK Models

Hi,

My wife has a Mazda 5. Although she has both original keys functioning, over the years the small plastic tabs on the buttons have fatigued and now they fall out of the casing unless held down by tape.

We enquired about replacement buttons or casing and was told that we would have to buy complete remotes at £96 ($154) each.

So I purchased a used key from eBay expecting to remove the buttons and use them to repair one of the original keys.

However, I found that Mazda have changed the internal design so that the tabs that hold the buttons in place is much sturdier, the battery holder is slightly different aswell so I can't simply swap the electronics over - obviously Mazda became aware of the design flaw with the originals and modified the design.

This meant I could not reuse the buttons so Plan B was to prgram the new key to work with her car.

Here lies my problem. I have downloaded a number of variants of the process, looked at YouTube videos and none of them work.

It all looks good to start, we reach the point where the door locks automatically lock and then unlock signally it is ready to register the keys but then nothing.

Thinking there may be a problem with the new key, I even tried it with the ones known to work but still no response.

I'm wondering whether UK models use a different process or have locked it down so that the public can program keys.

I have asked Mazda how much they would charge to program one key and they told me that it is 0.8 hours of labour and cost would be £88 ($141).

I'm loathed to be ripped off by Mazda so was hoping someone here could suggest how to program my key.

Many thanks,

Nigel

Old 10-31-2011, 08:32 AM

To clarify this is the most common procedure I have tried

Step 1: Open drivers door and leave open.

Step 2: Lock and unlock the driver’s door using the power door lock switch on the door.

Step 3: Insert key into the ignition.

Step 4: Turn key to on position and return to off position. (IMPORTANT - use ON position NOT ACC position). Do this 3 times within 10 seconds. Leave key in the ignition.

Step 5: Open and close the driver’s door 3 times. (Door should be left open after this step).

Step 6
: ECU should respond by locking and unlocking the doors.

Step 7: Press any button on remote #1 twice. ECU responds by locking and unlocking the car doors.

Step 8: Press any button on remote #2 (etc.) twice. Each time the ECU will respond by locking & unlocking the doors.

Step 9: Remove the key from the ignition and the ECU will respond a final time with a series of door locks and unlocks. You're done!

When I get to Step 6, the doors lock and then unlock - GREAT

That would suggest that it has gone into the programming mode.

But on step 7, nothing happens. Nothing happens regardless of whether I use the new remote or one of the working remotes.

Cheers,

Nigel

Old 11-03-2011, 04:50 AM
Default Key cutting shop?

Sorry to make a suggestion that doesn't just tell you how to fix this but it may be worth contacting a local key cutting shop about this. The one near to me seems to know the procedure for programming new keys for most models of car so I guess it's probably common knowledge in that kind of outlet. I'm sure for a small charge they may be willing to program your new key for you (although I'm wondering if the key refuses to be programmed since it's already been paired with another vehicle?).

Also, our local shop charges much less than Ford for replacement keys (although I've never been there to ask about Mazda's).

I'll PM you there number if I can dig it out - they may well be able to tell you where you're going wrong...

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Phil

Old 07-22-2018, 03:58 PM

An old thread, but a new reply.
I've just programmed a 3rd key successfully on my 2007 mazda 5.
Pulled the blade portion off the key and looked with a magnifying glass at the tiny printed info on the key case, to see that my keys were SKE126-01 type.
Ordered a new SKE126-01 key fob from Aliexpress for just over £9. Got the key blade cut locally. I had two original keys, so diy programming a 3rd key fob was easy when following the instructions on this forum.
First I did the remote locking programming, followed by the immobilizer programming and had no big issues.
My advice, check you are ordering the correct fob by looking for the printed info on your working key. There are various fobs USED by mazda including SKE126-01, 5WK43409D, 5WK43449/D/E/F, 5WK49532F. Get the right one & you'll likely have no issues programming it.

Old 04-09-2022, 03:55 AM
Default Programming 2 remotes

Splendid, worked a treat and so very clear, great instructions. Thank you.