Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

plain replacement key mazda5

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 10:50 AM
Default plain replacement key mazda5

Just got a 09 5 gt in white.
Love the car, but....
Have tried to procure an extra key (one without a fob).
The dealer says they have no part number except a complete retractable fob for $250, their cost.
Mazda's 800# says only what is shown in the owners manual can be used (a retractable fob).
Anyone have any knowledge or experience in locating a plain chipped key that can be programmed to the car?
thanks.
mark

Old 10-06-2008, 12:46 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: plain replacement key Mazda5

I'm not sure one would work. I have read that the protocol had changed a few years ago, and may have yet changed again,and the regular chipped key minus fob/remote may not work.
The good news is that if you have to buy a key/remote or flip key, I'm sure they are available on the AM... or will be before long.

Old 01-13-2009, 07:16 AM
Super Moderator

I'm sure you've found out your information by now, but the standard Mazda transponder key works on ALL Mazda models, at least per-continent. If you have two working keys you can program in a new one yourself in about 15 seconds, however if you only have one working key the dealer must program it (and will charge you $$). My father recently purchased a 5 and I convinced him to add a standard key for $20. That way if he loses a key he can just buy another $20 and program it himself. He could lose and replace four standard keys before paying more money than the dealer programming one key.

Old 01-13-2009, 03:28 PM

Keys must be more expensive in the US or something. When I was at my dealer having my 5 serviced, i asked about a key - I was told that they are about $60 (programmed and ready to go). Strange that the price difference could be so huge.

Old 01-13-2009, 07:22 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: BCNorth

Keys must be more expensive in the US or something. When I was at my dealer having my 5 serviced, i asked about a key - I was told that they are about $60 (programmed and ready to go). Strange that the price difference could be so huge.
$60 for a flip key, or for a standard key?

Old 01-13-2009, 07:33 PM
Super Moderator

Mine was $32, from the dealer and programmed.

"Course I was only 10 then.

Old 01-16-2009, 11:30 AM

hey spots,
I saw your other key-post under the new-car tips comment. So i thought i'd quote you from there:

ORIGINAL: icspots

ORIGINAL: BCNorth

to get the third key, do you have to go through mazda, or can you get the $20 key from any locksmith?
If you want it to start the car you need to get it from Mazda. If you want it to just open the doors you can buy an el cheapo key at a locksmith. The locksmith key won't have a transponder chip in it and that's why it won't start the car.

The standard transponder key from Mazda is ~$22. That price is from Jason at www.onlinemazdaparts.com. He's a very cool guy with great customer service. You can also get it from any Mazda dealer, though they may jack the price up a bit. Jason will cut your key for free (if your data matches the data in the database). My dealer locally also cut my key for free. When my sister got the third key for my dad's 5 they ended up charging them $38 (for the key plus cutting). I tried to get them to order online, but they wanted to get a good relationship going with the local dealer. Still, they payed about $16 too much. Oh well. At least I had described the programming so she tried it before they convinced her it wouldn't work. You might also be able to find the keys online, but honestly for the price Jason charges I'd rather get what I know will work.

Here's the info. for the standard key.
-Standard transponder key ('04-'08): Part number F1Y1762GX. MSRP-$27.51, Website-$22.01
OOPS, it looks like the site is down today. hope it comes back up.....me wanting another key....

Old 01-16-2009, 04:06 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: little b
OOPS, it looks like the site is down today. hope it comes back up.....me wanting another key....
No worries, just e-mail Jason at mazdapart@gmail.com and you can order that way. I've actually never ordered anything through the website. lol

Old 01-20-2009, 07:50 PM

I picked up a 2009 Mazda 5 today. They wanted to sell me lost key insurance for $300. They said a new key would cost $420. I laughed!!! Does anyone know if the generic key for 2004 - 2008 will still work in a 2009? I just want a confirmation before I order one, although at least I won't be spending very much to try it out.

Old 01-23-2009, 11:50 AM

I emailed Jason at Online Mazda Parts as icspots suggested. He gave me the information about the spare key and shorter antenna for my 2009 Mazda 5. I ordered online Wednesday and received my order today (Friday). The key was already cut as I gave him the tag number and I programmed the new key as indicated in a post above in about 1 minute. The new shorty antenna from a CX-7 took about 30 seconds and I also ordered a rear bumper protector that I haven't installed yet. Thanks to all on this forum for saving me a bundle!!!

Quick Reply: plain replacement key mazda5