Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

Oil leak on top of oil filter

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 09:25 PM
Default Oil leak on top of oil filter

Hi guys,

I was hoping someone would know how to advise me on a little oil leak problem of mine. I have a 2006 Mazda5 Sport. I noticed a while ago that my car was dripping just a little bit of oil on my driveway. I lifted up the front and found that the leak is coming from the top of the oil filter (or in this case the housing for the oil filter) right between the oil filter and the black box on top of the filter where coolant runs through. I'd like to fix this myself if it's a fairly simple task.
Please let me know if you know how to fix this.
Thanks so much.

Old 11-13-2011, 07:03 PM
Super Moderator

If its coming from the oil filter adapter, that cast metal piece that is the go-between the engine and filter itself, they use a metal crush gasket that can be had at the dealer. Or, you might just try removing it and using some RTV silicone on it.
Its held on with 3 bolts and is not hard to remove... or it wasn't in my case when I converted to the spin-on filter of the 2.0L engine. It required changing the entire housing.

Last edited by virgin1; 11-14-2011 at 03:27 PM.
Old 11-14-2011, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by virgin1

If its coming from the oil filter adapter, that cast metal piece that is the go-between the engine and filter itself, they use a metal crush gasket that can be had at the dealer. Or, you might just try removing it and using some RTV silicone on it.
Its held on with 3 bolts and is not hard to remove... or it wasn't in my case when I converted to the spin-on filter of the 2.0L engine. It required changing the entire housing.
Am considering switching to the screw on filter myself... it seems like it would be pretty basic, could you offer a heads up on how make the switch?

Old 11-14-2011, 12:24 PM
Super Moderator

Sure! Easy!!

Buy the new adapter and gasket. Remove the splash shield (or loosen if you are brave) and plastic filter housing and allow to drain, remove the oil sending unit wire and three (correction, FOUR) bolts that hold on your current filter adapter, transfer the oil sending unit to the new adapter, bolt on the new one using the new gasket, clip on the oil sender wire, put on new spin-on filter of your choice... primed please.
Done!!
It took me about 1/2 hr including time to drain and wipe off the excess oil.

*edit* Here's what you need and where/one place to buy it from: http://www.mazdastuff.com/product.cfm?ProductID=2869

Last edited by virgin1; 11-14-2011 at 03:34 PM. Reason: Added info
Old 11-14-2011, 08:11 PM

excellent! much appreciated!

Old 11-15-2011, 04:16 PM
Super Moderator

No problem.
It does make changing oil a lot easier and a lot less messy.
I was always afraid the plastic housing was going to crack and I had stripped out its soft aluminum "drain plug" at least a year before that. I am glad to be rid of it.
BTW: If you want an excellent filter for it, use WIX #51348. They can be had @ Amazon.com or under the NAPA Gold number @ Fleetfilters.com

Old 11-15-2011, 06:15 PM

Why they made it out of plastic I'll never guess... had to replace mine once already because I cracked it... guess I should be careful of my super human strength.

Old 11-23-2011, 03:11 PM

I just went through this mess. 2007 Mazda 5 with 107,500 miles and 6 months out of warranty.

The seal between the oil cooler and the filter housing began to leak, bad. I pulled it all apart and expected to go down and pay $5.00 for a new seal but was told I need to buy the whole new cooler for $435.
I had no choice but to buy one. I wonder if the seal on this one is replaceable?. Fortunately I was able to install it myself and save the labor costs.

My advice: if you have a Mazda 5 with one of these old style installed and it is still under warranty, put a wrench on the nut that holds the cooler to the filter adapter and loosen it just enough so it leaks. Take it back to the dealer and make them fix it with the new cooler. Otherwise you will eventually have to do it yourself and pay for it.

In the attached photo you can see the new one on the left, the old one in the middle and the old seal on the right. The new one is easy to identify as it is a silver color and the old one is black.

Attached Thumbnails Oil leak on top of oil filter-oil-cooler-small.jpg  
Old 11-23-2011, 03:48 PM
Super Moderator

My god!! If they tried to charge me that much for a factory oil cooler I think I would've come up with an alternative.
Can it be removed and bypassed?
If so, why not install an aftermarket cooler in front to the radiator and redirect the hoses?

Old 11-24-2011, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by virgin1

My god!! If they tried to charge me that much for a factory oil cooler I think I would've come up with an alternative.
Can it be removed and bypassed?
If so, why not install an aftermarket cooler in front to the radiator and redirect the hoses?
All those options went through my mind, but my daughter needed the car back ASAP.
One could put the filter adapter from a 2.3 engine that does not have the cooler on (Mazda 3?) and then just plum the two coolant lines together. You would loose the cooler but with as small as it it I'm not sure how much good it does. Or, as you suggest find a way to plum in an after marker cooler. All these options would take time and money though.

I'm wondering if a nicely worded letter to Mazda customer service might help me get a refund on the cooler.

Quick Reply: Oil leak on top of oil filter