Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

My First Mazda. Late 2010 (60) Sport 2.0 DISI

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 10:06 AM
Default My First Mazda. Late 2010 (60) Sport 2.0 DISI

Just bought my first Mazda. Pick it up on Thursday.

It looks pretty clean, it's the new shape model with leather, electric doors and iStop. 24k miles.

Anyone any experiences of the direct injection 2.0? Felt fairly similar power wise to my 2008 1.8 Civic. Was impressed with the smoothness of the engine, didn't sound clattery like the Di BMW 3 series I had. Wanted the 1.6 diesel, but it was just too expensive and we wouldn't have made it back in the fuel savings.

I was planning on doing the DRL upgrade that they have on eBay with the OEM looking fog panels. Anyone done this yet?

Old 07-06-2014, 09:03 AM

Hi bodger. I am considering a petrol 2.0 5, 2011 plate. I too can't justify the extra cost of the diesel, and am put off the 1.8 petrol as mazda withdrew it, and it wasnt much more efficient than the 2.0.

May i ask how you've found fuel consumption and tyre wear? I am reading of only 32mpg combined, and i think Mazda solved the tyre wear problem on the old model. We have the old sport model, and other than tyre wear its been very good. It would be a shame to switch to a Grand C-max for another car with sliding rear doors. I am not bothered with power doors as i consider this just something more to break.

Appreciate your feedback please. Thanks

Old 07-07-2014, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by ChalkyWhite
Hi bodger. I am consideringreplacement 2.0 5, 2011 plate. I too can't justify the extra cost of the diesel, and am put off the 1.8 petrol as mazda withdrew it, and it wasnt much more efficient than the 2.0.

May i ask how you've found fuel consumption and tyre wear? I am reading of only 32mpg combined, and i think Mazda solved the tyre wear problem on the old model. We have the old sport model, and other than tyre wear its been very good. It would be a shame to switch to a Grand C-max for another car with sliding rear doors. I am not bothered with power doors as i consider this just something more to break.

Appreciate your feedback please. Thanks
Fuel consumption I would say is ok. I am averaging about 36-37 at the moment, but that is 40% town 60% A road driving. I would have preferred it to break 40 in this kind of driving, but I am only getting that if I stick to longer runs.

The petrol is more powerful and quicker (not to mention quieter) than the 1.6 diesel so you are getting something in return.

Tyre is a non issue. I bought it with 20k and it had replacement front tyres on it, and the original tyres on the rear. I now have done 32k and the rears are about ready to be replaced. I did get a local tyre place to check out the tyres months ago and they said there was some feathering on the inside edge of the rears, but nothing extreme.

I wouldn't worry about the doors. They are very robust and show no signs of failing so far. Kids love them. You can hit a switch to shut the power off and they just work manually - and they work pretty well like this.

One thing I would say is that the car is not without its problems. So far I have had the following replaced:

Rollbar bushings
Suspension struts
Air con compressor pulley

And I still have creaking from the front end.

Other than that it is a great car though.

Decent enough eco for the size
Nice interior (step up from Gen 1)
Great handling for the size
Smooth and quiet
Kids love the doors and the space

Old 07-08-2014, 07:50 AM

Hi, thanks for taking the time to respond. So mazda still havent sorted out the shock absorbers (which i had to replace at 40k on the back) or the rollbar bushes, which i've just had to replace offside front (at around 65k miles).

Interesting to read that the sliding doors can be closed without assistance.

Good news on both tyre and fuel economy front though

Thanks, Tony

Old 07-09-2014, 03:37 AM

Originally Posted by ChalkyWhite
Hi, thanks for taking the time to respond. So mazda still havent sorted out the shock absorbers (which i had to replace at 40k on the back) or the rollbar bushes, which i've just had to replace offside front (at around 65k miles).

Interesting to read that the sliding doors can be closed without assistance.

Good news on both tyre and fuel economy front though

Thanks, Tony

I am not really sure what is going on with the front end of my car. I am not entirely sure it is anything to do with the shocks to be honest. They replaced the whole thing and it is still creaking when pulling away, so it could be anything really. It goes back in next week anyway, so hopefully they can sort it.

The car is actually completely reliable in that it has never actually broken down, but there are ****les. I would still recommend end it though - there isn't a great deal that matches it for driving appeal + space.

Old 07-10-2014, 03:21 AM

Hi, could it be front brakes binding? Can someone have a listen as you pull away slowly? Does it do it every time you pull away, just when its damp? Tony