Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

Mazda5 traction control warning light

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 05:59 AM
Smile Mazda5 traction control warning light

Hello all, first post for me on this forum!

The traction control warning light on my Mazda5 came on a few weeks ago and during a service I asked them to investigate.

Turns out this is linked to the ABS control unit which is now faulty - apparently a common fault.

The car drives fine, ABS still works (tested on quiet country road) but no traction control at all - which can catch you off guard if you try and pull out of a junction in the wet with a bit too much enthusiasm!

Mazda want £1000 to replace it, my local garage said they could send the unit away for repair but they'd need my car for a week and it would cost £400.

Can anyone confirm if this is a common fault, or if you've experienced similar?

Cheers!

Old 09-21-2010, 09:02 AM

Hi Sharpstuff,

It's common enough that the young lady on service reception could diagnose my problem before a mechanic had even seen it! Mine was £1500 and mazda paid 80% as I was just out of warranty.

Old 09-29-2010, 08:02 AM

Thanks for the info.. I'll try my luck with Mazda, although mine is a 55 plate so not sure how much joy I'll have.

Old 09-30-2010, 02:56 PM
Default Brake Fluid?

Hi,
Just a thought but it may be worth flushing the brake fluid through from the resevoir to each wheel. I had a similar problem with the ABS light on my old 626. They replaced the ABS unit to fix it. When I spoke with the mechanic he said the brake fluid in the unit was dirty so I suspect this may have been the cause of the problem. It may be the same with your TCS fault. I suspect when most garages change the brake fluid they do not flush through the ABS control unit. This allows sludge to build up in the hydraulic components leading to faults.

Of course I could be totally wrong but it does seem logical and may be worth a try.

Good luck.

Old 11-16-2010, 02:40 PM
Default Intermittent TCS warning light

The TCS warning light came on on my car for a day and a half and has now disappeared. After initially booking my car in at the local Mazda dealer I have cancelled the booking as they would not be able to find anything (unless it reappears again). It did a similar thing about a year ago when it came on for about an hour and then disappeared until yesterday. Has anyone else had a similar experience.

Old 01-24-2013, 07:02 AM
Default Dsc

This is now part of the Mot so if the light is on it is an MOT failure so be prepared for lots of bills and unhappy car owners.

This unit can malfunction in several ways so I am informed. I personally do not think the MOT ppl thought this one through properly ( just an opinion)

I will be writing to Mazda re this issue and other third party agencies

Old 07-20-2013, 07:39 AM

how difficult is it to remove or blow the bulb, mine has been on for the last 2 years no problem but only today failed the mot for that reason? p.i.t.a.