Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

Mazda 5 Sport 2005 & the XCarlink Ipod / iphone adapter

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 06:30 AM
Default Mazda 5 Sport 2005 & the XCarlink Ipod / iphone adapter

New to the forum so hello everyone!

I recently bought the wife a Mazda 5 Sport 2005 and I wanted to be able to plug in, charge and play an iPhone. I've used the XCarLink module on my Honda Civic and its a great unit so I have bought and tried to install this module from XCarLink;

Mazda Wireless Bluetooth Streaming Handsfree Interface :: MAZDA :: XCarLink

Dash all came apart very easily and within about 15 mins I could plug in the module to the back of the stereo. The supplied unit fitted straight into the spare socket on the back of the stereo that looks like a CD changer port on other stereos.

The phone started to charge which is a good sign but when I went to change source it would not find the iPhone and just cycled between the CD and radio. I noted on the XCarLink site that they say it doesn't work with MP3 radios... which I didn't think I had as nothing is written on the stereo. It turns out that the radio is an MP3 stereo as it plays MP3 CDs which I've since tested.

The XCarLink guys are stumped as they think it should still work as it fits.
I would have also thought the Media button may have selected it as a source but that still does nothing. From browsing the web the media button is an unused button left over from an Asian version that never came to Europe. You would think though that the media button would activate whatever is plugged into the aux socket on the back of the stereo.

So, I guess there are one of three things going on;

• XCarLink module faulty and charges but doesn't play (unlikely)
  • Stereo has some form of faulty connection to the media / aux socket (feels unlikely)
  • There's a strange incompatibility error with the XCarLink product.
Does anyone have any views or experience that may help? Does anyone have an alternative product working with a Mazda 5 Sport??

Thanks in advance!!