Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

Key/Immobiliser problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 09:20 AM
Default Key/Immobiliser problem

Hi everyone, first time post

A few weeks ago we bought a 2nd hand Mazda 5, which has driven fine for the 2 or 3 times we've driven it. Then went on holiday, returning yesterday. As I hadnt had much time to familiarise myself with the car before the holiday I spent some time on this yesterday afternoon. I fitted my daughters car seat, adjusted the seats, looked the basic stuff like lights, windscreen wipers, heating, set radio channels etc. All worked fine.

I then went to drive the car in the evening and the car wouldn't start. I tried both keys but nothing. Every icon illuminates on the dash so I knew the battery wasnt flat! Ever present during every starting attempt is this icon on the console with a car with a red key. Looking at the manual, it seems that something to do with the immobiliser 'doing its job', which only tells me that it's not identifying the keys, even tho it did that fine a few hours before.

Reading up, it seems this can happen if the keys get wet or are in contact with a magnetic source like a mobile phone etc. It was raining heavily yesterday tho I don't recall getting both keys wet.

Anyone else experience this problem and found a cheap/easy soultion.

Thanks

Old 04-14-2013, 11:01 AM

Never had this problem.
Try drying the keys whether they got wet or not. Use a hair dryer, or put a table spoon of rice kernels and the keys in a zip-lock bag for a few hours.

Hopefully someone with real knowledge is going to chyme in.

Old 04-15-2013, 09:24 AM
Super Moderator

The immobilizer light should flash slowly whenever the car is off. If when you put the key in the ignition the light begins flashing quickly then that means the car doesn't recognize the RFID.

While I haven't submerged my flip key I have had it out in wet conditions, rain, dropped on the ground in rain, etc. The RFID chips should be sealed in a little plastic container inside the key part of the housing, and I doubt that incidental wetness would cause an issue like this.

If the light isn't flashing quickly then it's time to start looking for other issues..... starter, starter relay, clutch switch (if MTX), Park switch (if ATX). If you have an ATX try starting it in neutral.

Old 04-15-2013, 10:59 PM

Checking the other Mazda forums, people suggest replacing the battery first. If that doesn't work, to check the ignition switch.

Old 04-16-2013, 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by icspots
The immobilizer light should flash slowly whenever the car is off. If when you put the key in the ignition the light begins flashing quickly then that means the car doesn't recognize the RFID.

While I haven't submerged my flip key I have had it out in wet conditions, rain, dropped on the ground in rain, etc. The RFID chips should be sealed in a little plastic container inside the key part of the housing, and I doubt that incidental wetness would cause an issue like this.

If the light isn't flashing quickly then it's time to start looking for other issues..... starter, starter relay, clutch switch (if MTX), Park switch (if ATX). If you have an ATX try starting it in neutral.
Thanks all

I too would be v surprised if the few spots of rain would cause this.

I am seeing the slow flashing when 'parked' then a faster flashing when attempting to start the ignition.

Speaking to the local Mazda dealer, he suggested changing the batteries in the key fobs.

This only succedded in rendering one of the keys inoperable as some of the circuitry came loose when taking it apart. so now protecting the other key dearly!!

Old 04-16-2013, 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by slbenz
Checking the other Mazda forums, people suggest replacing the battery first. If that doesn't work, to check the ignition switch.
thanks...i'm not good with cars at all so are you able to expand on what I should check with the ignition switch?

Old 04-16-2013, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by monkeyinawalnut
thanks...i'm not good with cars at all so are you able to expand on what I should check with the ignition switch?
In the other forums, the ignition switch could be dirty. I would probably use a vacuum cleaner to pull any dirt that could be lodged into the switch. Then carefully use contact cleaner in the switch as to not get any onto the plastic parts on the dash. Cleaning the switch should help with starting your car. But from what you describe with the red key light, it still sounds like it is your key fob.

Old 05-14-2013, 08:48 AM

It appears the issue was caused by old battery with very little charge left it in!

Whats strange though is that all the dash lights came on and were very bright which is why I didnt think the battery was the cause. Anyway, with a new battery is all fine!

Old 06-13-2013, 09:53 AM
Super Moderator

Weird that you got the fast flash with working keys simply because of a low battery. That's generally reserved for when the car doesn't recognize the code on the keys.

As far as the dealers recommendation you replace the batteries in the remotes.... I'm assuming you have the flip key, yes? If so then the dealer was talking out their *** as the flip key is actually two modules put together. While they are connected into a single housing the key and remote portions operate completely independently of each other and a low battery in the remote won't affect the key at all.

Assuming the battery was the original from the previous owners then it was definitely in need of replacement.

Old 08-28-2016, 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by monkeyinawalnut
It appears the issue was caused by old battery with very little charge left it in!

Whats strange though is that all the dash lights came on and were very bright which is why I didnt think the battery was the cause. Anyway, with a new battery is all fine!

Which battery is this, the one with the remote key lock or one on the car? Thanks

Quick Reply: Key/Immobiliser problem