Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

Key fob

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2006, 06:55 PM
Default Key fob

Lost the remote entry key fob/flip key, went to dealer to have it replaced. Cost
was $150 to get the key re-programmed, and the remote part of the key (comes
in two parts - the actual key, which must have the chip in the short
part of the fob with the Mazda logo, and the remote part) was an add'l $300 not including labor!
Have searched the usual areas (ebay, etc.) but have not found a cheaper replacement. Has anyone
else had any luck using an MPV flip key as a replacement (06's are avail.
on ebay with programming)? I am outraged this is going to cost so much,
people lose keys often enough that the cost should not be so high. To his
credit, the service manager was equally angry at the cost and tried to
find a valet key so I didn't have a half-key, but no luck.

Old 08-24-2006, 02:30 PM
Default RE: Key fob

I would like an outlet for this too. My wife was mugged 3 weeks ago and the SOB got all of her keys. We share one now because although the dealer offered to replace it at cost I was told it would be $197 for the 2 parts of the key and $60 to program!!!!!

I am wondering if the crook was the thief or Mazda with their key price. HELP!

Old 09-07-2006, 12:15 PM

There's a guy on Ebay selling keyfobs for the Mazda5 --

Mazda5 keyless entry remote - Ebay item: 220023033089

The "buy it now" price is $80, and the ad indicates it can be programmed at home. For an extra $30 the seller will cut and code it for you. I haven't bought anything from (so can't vouch for) this seller, but the deal beats the hell out of Mazda's price. The seller's feedback rating is 98%. Worth a try.

Hope this helps -- all the best.

Dave

Old 09-07-2006, 10:34 PM

I bought one from that seller on ebay. I'm happy with the transaction. The instructions are a little confusing but I got the key programmed to my car. The trick is to do the steps very quickly.

Jim.

Old 09-16-2006, 05:00 PM
Super Moderator

Wow. Sorry I didn't see this post earlier.

check it out.

Key/flip key part numbers compiled

Old 12-30-2006, 02:00 AM

Jim- Can I get directions for programing the key and key fob? I just bought a used 06 and it only came with 1 key... I have a friend who works for a non-Mazda dealership and was able to order the key and fob, but they can't program it, they said I would have to go to Mazda.

Thanks,

Pearl5

Old 12-30-2006, 12:39 PM

Sorry, I threw out the instructions. But I might remember how to program it. Try this: Get in the car. Close the door. Insert the key in the ignition. Push the lock or unlock buttons once. Turn the ignition to on without starting the engine five times FAST. Hit the lock button. The car should respond. That's what I remember. If it doesn't work, your non-Mazda buddy should get you the instructions if he can get the key. If not, you might want to try the ebay guy, worth a shot.

Jim.

Old 01-02-2007, 04:48 PM

Hi, new to forumand am researching mazda 5 to see if is suited for my family(me, wife, 4yr old, 1 yr old and one on the way), Pearl5this may help you with programing key fob - hope it helps http://www.finishlineperformance.com...35-06-1631.pdf "On 2006 model year MX-5 Miata and Mazda5, two types of keyless entry systems have been introduced, each having a different procedure for registering transmitters "

Old 09-27-2012, 03:11 PM
Angry keyfobs

Hi all
i have 2 keyfobs that need batteries replaced every few months
Any one know why? I told the dealer they have no ideal.

thanks Vince.

Old 10-09-2012, 01:19 PM

We have an 08 and replaced the batteries in both remotes once. Cost was less than $10, very cheap, and easy to replace, but strange that yours are only lasting 6 months or so... can't imagine why. You don't keep your keys in the freezer do you? ;-)

Quick Reply: Key fob