Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

Keep having issues but our VIN is "not affected"!

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 03:05 PM
Default Keep having issues but our VIN is "not affected"!

I'm new to this forum. I desperately need some help! We have spent far too much money on issues that our VIN is "not affected by". We have a 2007 Mazda5 that has been nothing but trouble! We hate it but are not in a position to buy a new car right now. First issue was the water in the number 1 spark plug issue. We ended up getting ALL the spark plugs replaced the first time. Over time the same issue happened again. I really didn't want to pay to replace all the spark plugs again, so I looked into it and found a TSB for the exact problem but the Mazda dealer refused to touch our car, even if we paid for it, since our VIN was not affected!!! We ended up ordering the parts from Jim Ellis Mazda and brought the parts and TSB into a local place and they took care of it. They brought us in when they opened it up and showed us the water damage...only in the number 1.

Now we are having the sliding door latch freezing recall issue! We bought the car in Virginia (North Carolina border - so the warmer part of the state, not the colder north) and have only had it in Minnesota a couple years which is why this issue was not identified earlier. Last year we experienced the issue, but it was only a couple times and since we couldn't find any TSB or recall on it for our car, we let it go. It's doing it again this year now so we dug into it some more and found out it was a recall on the 2006! This is what is happening though. This week it happened after a car wash and again yesterday after snow melted and then temperatures dropped. Dealership is quoting me upwards of $550 to take care of it, plus "diagnostic fee" on top of that!

Twice now our car has had older model issues! And Mazda, corporate and dealerships, either don't care or they won't even look at it since "it can't possibly affect your newer model". I did report the door latch issue to the NHTSA. This is obviously a major issue - not just the door latch, but the fact that our car keeps having older model issues! We have dropped $2000 on the car in the last 4 months alone, we really can't drop another $600+ into it right now (repair plus diagnostic fee). Can anyone give any advice on what to do? I feel like Mazda should be responsible for this. Any idea where I can get more specific details on the recall and parts or how to repair it so we can try to get it taken care of locally for less money if we have to go that route? Also anyone know if the TSB for the creaky suspension in the cold really needs to be taken care of, or as long as we don't mind the noise is it ok to drive on?

Old 11-17-2014, 04:05 PM

I assume your talking about the sliding door recall. That recall has probably been deleted since it is so old. The part number for the new latch's is C2Y5-73-300. That comes with 2 latch's. RH latch part # is C235-72-310E. LH latch # is C235-73-310E Water intrusion into the latch is the real problem however. Once it gets in it freezes and the latch binds. The original recall had a cover to install to keep water out. Replacing both latch's under the recall paid .8 hours. Less than an hour labor. However since Mazda was paying for it they ripped of the tech with the labor time. I think a fair time would be more like 2 hours. The production date of affected vehicles ended with Feb 1 2006. If your vehicle production date is before that date and the recall has not ended then you might have a case for them to do the repair free of charge. I doubt you really need the latch's. The water intrusion into the latch is what really needs to be addressed.

Old 11-17-2014, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by hixx
I assume your talking about the sliding door recall. That recall has probably been deleted since it is so old. The part number for the new latch's is C2Y5-73-300. That comes with 2 latch's. RH latch part # is C235-72-310E. LH latch # is C235-73-310E Water intrusion into the latch is the real problem however. Once it gets in it freezes and the latch binds. The original recall had a cover to install to keep water out. Replacing both latch's under the recall paid .8 hours. Less than an hour labor. However since Mazda was paying for it they ripped of the tech with the labor time. I think a fair time would be more like 2 hours. The production date of affected vehicles ended with Feb 1 2006. If your vehicle production date is before that date and the recall has not ended then you might have a case for them to do the repair free of charge. I doubt you really need the latch's. The water intrusion into the latch is what really needs to be addressed.
Yes, the sliding door recall. I know it was old, and as stated our vehicle is not one of the "affected VIN's" so Mazda will NOT cover it under the recall. Do you know what the part number is for the cover that had to be installed? We obviously have to do something, but I just can't find exactly what needs to be done. The recall notice just says they will replace a latch - it does not detail part numbers or any kind of cover. I found a part number for a latch on a very old message on a message board. I was hoping someone would know for sure exactly what parts need to be purchased - and I guess now I need to know about this cover since this is the first I'm hearing of that.

Old 11-17-2014, 06:15 PM

C2Y5-73-300 is the part # for the kit. I don't know if it comes with the plastic cover,or even if it is still available. The cover may have been the earliest version of the recall while they developed a more waterproof latch. I would probably call a Mazda dealer and give them that part # and ask if it comes with the cover. Hey,maybe they sell just the covers now. You can also try a Google search of ( Mazda dealer online parts ) then input the part #s i gave you. Actually try Googling the part numbers and you might even get a pic in images. If the part # changes when you give it to a Mazda parts dept. then they upgraded the latch and your stuck with the fact. However,you should be able to have the work done much cheaper than what the dealer quoted. It should be a 2 hour job,if that in real time.

Last edited by hixx; 11-17-2014 at 06:25 PM.
Old 11-18-2014, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by hixx
The part number for the new latch's is C2Y5-73-300. That comes with 2 latch's. RH latch part # is C235-72-310E. LH latch # is C235-73-310E
Ok, I can get that latch, and I have someone who can do the work for us that we trust. The last two parts you provided are the locks. Is this an affected part as well that needs to be replaced, or is it just the latch? I can't find the shield anywhere. I tried calling one dealer that sells parts online and they just said recall replacement parts are strictly controlled by Mazda and can not be released except to affected VIN numbers. I can find all those part numbers on their website - I was just trying to find a potential part number or info on that shield.

Old 11-18-2014, 12:04 PM

More than likely the new latch is made with the cover incorporated into the latch. I don't know what their kit contains. If all else fails a cover or something that could channel the water away from the latch could be improvised i suppose. I am unable to find a pic of the actual part. Sorry