Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

front end clatter

Old 12-02-2013, 06:08 PM
Default front end clatter

Hi

Had the 5 a few weeks now 2007 1.8 TS2, whilst driving there is a rumble/clattering from the front end which sounds like a failed ball joint. Local dealer checked it over and found nothing which would cause this noise, they did report saying the control arm bushes are starting to deteriorate but nothing to worry about.
Anyway they suggested the anti roll bar bushes might be the cause as they cannot check them whilst the car is on the ramps??

Has anyone else suffered the same problem and found a issue to rectify

Old 12-10-2013, 05:36 PM
Default Front end clunk

Hi,
I have 2009 GT and experienced front end clunking while going over bumps at low speed (25-35 mph). Went to tde dealer and they diagnosted sway bar bushings worn-out (at 35,000 miles!). I tried to replace myself, but placement of sway bar above the crossmember makes it very difficult. Looks like to gain access it needs to lower crossmember which is additional difficulty. Therefore I,ve payed &155 to do it at dealers. I watched tecnician how he is doing and surprisingly be lifted the car and blindly put arms around the crossmember and using 3/8 rachet and short socket did it!!!. I asket why he is not following crossmember dropping path he says "If it can be done this way is better not to to drop crossmember because it may affect alignement". Next time I will try to do it this way myself. I hope it may help you.

Old 12-19-2013, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by adas
Hi,
I have 2009 GT and experienced front end clunking while going over bumps at low speed (25-35 mph). Went to tde dealer and they diagnosted sway bar bushings worn-out (at 35,000 miles!). I tried to replace myself, but placement of sway bar above the crossmember makes it very difficult. Looks like to gain access it needs to lower crossmember which is additional difficulty. Therefore I,ve payed &155 to do it at dealers. I watched tecnician how he is doing and surprisingly be lifted the car and blindly put arms around the crossmember and using 3/8 rachet and short socket did it!!!. I asket why he is not following crossmember dropping path he says "If it can be done this way is better not to to drop crossmember because it may affect alignement". Next time I will try to do it this way myself. I hope it may help you.
On my 2007 Mazda 5, I replaced my sway bar bushings, front and rear by myself. Did something similar to your tech. I put my car on ramps, and blindly installed the new sway bar bushings. Area was tight with a rachet but was doable. Rears were a piece of cake. Made a big difference in noise and handling. I ended up using poly bushings and haven't had any issue in the last six months that I have installed them. Car had over 80K miles before I replaced them.