Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

Remote Key Fob Button Fault

Old 10-28-2010, 04:59 AM
Default Remote Key Fob Button Fault

Both the remote locking keys from my Wife's Mazda 5 have developed the same fault.

The plastic lugs on each side of the 'lock' button have broken through normal light use. This means that the button just falls off the remote leaving the rubber part of the switch visible. The switch still operates but is awkward and doesn't look good.

The first remote lasted about 2.5 years and my wife just put it down to bad luck so started using the spare. The spare has just lasted 1 year and now has exactly the same fault.

Not a great believer of coincidence so wondering if anyone else has heard of this problem.

Worried that the Mazda dealer will want a fortune to replace the key and reprogram the car which will be very annoying given she hasn't lost them or had any proper electronic fault.

Cheers,

Nigel

Old 10-28-2010, 01:35 PM

Took one of the remote fobs apart and found the fault. The two buttons (lock and open) are connected at the sides with a thin framework of plastic. This framework keeps the buttons in place and stops the buttons from falling out.

In both cases this frame work has broken away in several places.

The fix could be easy. I just need the part which is the two button covers. However, I would be surprised if it is available - why sell a $1 part when you can charge $150 for a complete new assembly.

We will try at the dealer tomorrow, but if not I suspect I will be putting my engineering skills to good use.

Cheers,

Nigel

Old 10-28-2010, 01:57 PM

There seems to be quite a few Mazda remotes on Ebay. May be worth checking.
http://tinyurl.com/2vjp897 - one of many.

Old 10-29-2010, 05:00 AM

Yes it may come to that. But will still be a paying paying upto Ł40 just to get the plastic button cover, especially as that one may be on the way out.

Will see how the wife gets on with Mazda. If no luck I will try and fix the existing ones and failing that resort to eBay.

Cheers,

Nigel

Old 10-29-2010, 06:41 AM

My wife has just returned from Mazda. As expected, despite, only needing a small piece of plastic to effect the repair, Mazda insist on replacing the whole rear part of the key at a cost of Ł90 ($143).

Cheers,

Nigel

Old 10-29-2010, 09:41 AM
Super Moderator

Sadly, but to be expected.
If I were you, I might get a second fob on the aftermarket, as klc28 suggested, only make sure the numbers listed on your current ones are the same as the one you wish to buy.
In the States, we can use the FCC number to identify the difference. In GB/Europe I'm not sure what you would be looking for, but there must be some continuity between them or the new one may not program/work.

Old 10-30-2010, 04:19 AM

If I do get a second hand one, there would be no question of having to program it. I have two fully functioning keys.

All I need is the $1 plastic button cover.

This is what is so frustrating, Mazda effectively want me to buy $143 worth of technology, take the $1 plastic part from it and effectively throw the remainder in the trash because I have absolutely no need for it.

I'm going to home engineer a fix.

Cheers,

Nigel

Old 10-30-2010, 05:01 AM

http://tinyurl.com/383hzz2
http://tinyurl.com/37xtloh

Depending upon which model of remote you have I see two which are around $16 inc shipping with 3hrs to go (assuming you can't fix it yourself)

It's got to be worth trying over the dealer. Good luck!

Old 10-30-2010, 08:18 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome to our not-so-new disposable world, Nigel. As the saying goes, use it once, throw it away. Sad, but often true as these manufacturer's design in planned obsolescence. Why make something last when you can sell more of them by making them cheaply?

I know its frustrating. I share your frustration as it seems like every two years or so I have buy/replace everything I purchased two years before!! Nothing is made to last any more. There will be no legacy for our children's children except the garbage left over from the manufacturing failures of today.

I/we have a bedroom set that was my great grandfather's that he bought slightly used in the 1880's!! It's in surprisingly good condition considering its age and how often it has moved over the years.
Our own bedroom furniture is newer... maybe 20yrs old now, and it's already falling apart.

I hope you can find a home engineering fix for the problem. Please let us all know what you come up with.