Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

Diesel dpf/turbo runaway issue

Old 04-29-2015, 07:19 AM
Default Diesel dpf/turbo runaway issue

Hi folks,

Just looking to gain some knowledge.

I've had my 5 for 6 days longer than the warranty lasted, typically enough, and at the start of a holiday trip, the engine went into an intermittent runaway under hard acceleration. It did this in various gears, three times in quick succession at motorway speeds. Dropping the car into neutral seemed to stop it. Then I pulled up and revved the car in neutral and it did the same again over around 3500rpm. Rev counter shooting up to 6000rpm, tonne of smoke pouring out and the sound of tappets clacking before the effect stopping itself.

I abandoned the journey and put it into the local Mazda dealer today. They've reported that they're doing a dpf regen, stripping and cleaning the turbo and replacing oil and filter (for about five hundred quid). They've said the next step if this doesn't fix things is to replace the turbo assembly.

Now, the dpf warning light has been coming on and cancelling after a few seconds - as the manual says it does. The manual states that when the light is on the dpf filter needs regenerated - is this what I've been seeing or is the dpf light coming on then cancelling before turning over the engine standard? The manual's wording seems ambiguous to me.

Otherwise, there are no fault indicators on the dash and the car's behaviour under gentle acceleration seems normal.

So my questions:

1) does the above suggestions from the garage fit with your thoughts based on the symptoms I've seen?
2) any guess as to how much a turbo replacement could be? It's in with Arnold Shark so I'm guessing I can increase any reasonable cost by at least half.
3) being an 09 mark 1 2.0d, is it possible this car has missed a recall? Or should this age range be out with any of the published recalls. I checked into this, and specifically asked the dealer at purchase to ensure any recalls for the model had been actioned which they said they did.

Cheers
Richard

Old 05-02-2015, 02:00 AM
Super Moderator

If the DPF light goes out once started then you have nothing to worry about. All the warning lights come on when the key is turned on.