Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

CHECK ALLOYS FOR SLIGHT FAULTS

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 11:47 AM
Default CHECK ALLOYS FOR SLIGHT FAULTS

Just had mine in for tyre wear on it but I noticed a slight blip on the alloy when i was checking the tyres.
It seems to be round the centre of the wheel where the mazda logo is. I noticed slight blips and mazda have taken some photos of it and I have a complete set of new alloys on order (which mazda are paying for) they said it was probably a fault in the manufacturing of the so I just wanted to let you know of my problem in case there are anymore with this fault!

I have tried to up load the photos but they are tooooooo big so if you want the photos e-mail me and i will send them to you or tell me how i can upload them but when i tried it said file to big

Old 04-08-2008, 01:21 PM
Default RE: CHECK ALLOYS FOR SLIGHT FAULTS

Hi,

I've heard of this before. It is a known problem and has been pretty much since launch, so I have been checking my wife's car, but I am not sure what I was supposed to be looking for ie big lumps of metal hanging off, or as you describe it it sounds a little more subtle!

Dave

Old 04-10-2008, 06:20 PM

Are you refering to Sport model or TS2?

Old 04-11-2008, 04:01 AM

As tyre wear was also mentioned, I'm inclined to think it's probably a Sport we're talking about.

I'd love to see the pictures, the trick is to open them in something like Paintshop Pro and re-size them, then re-save them with a slightly different name (to make sure you keep the original hi-res version)I'll see if Windows comes with something that will resize photos.

Anyway, I'm off to inspect my wheels now!!

Dave.

Old 04-11-2008, 04:20 AM

ORIGINAL: Maz05da

I have tried to up load the photos but they are tooooooo big ............ or tell me how i can upload them but when i tried it said file to big
OK, just had a quick play. Hopefully you are using Windows XP on your computer, if so:

find the file which is your photo (by opening the folder in which you stored it, "My Pictures" or whatever), right click on the file and a pile of options appear. click on "Edit". more options appear. Click on Microsoft Photo Editor, then OK.

Your photo should open within the Photo Editor. Click on Image (at the top, 4th menu along), then Resize. A resize box opens. Change the units to Pixels (it is probably set to cm at the moment), then the size of your photo in pixels is displayed in thewidth and heightboxes. You only need to change one of these, as the other will follow, so try changing the width to 800, this is an acceptable size for posting. Finally click on File (top left menu) then Save As and give your photo a new name (I just add sml to the end of the original file name). This new picture should be suitable to upload to the forum, or e-mail to someone without jamming up the Internet for half a day!!

Hope this helps, I don't know much about cars but I'm quite good on playing with computers. Now, I really am off to check my wheels now!!

Dave.

Old 04-15-2008, 06:41 AM

This is a known problem with all Mazdas, well certainly the 6 and the RX-8. As an RX-8 owner I am only too aware of this issue and know that some owners went through 4 sets during the warranty. The corrosion normally starts around the centre cap and can be seen as bubbling under the paint which will inevitably get worse until the bubbled paint falls off and then you have full blown corrosion.

I notice thata couple of our wheels on the 5 are going a similar way, so will defo be asking for a new set when the next service comes around.

I really don't understand why Mazda don't sort this out as the majority of OEM wheels from other makers don't seem to suffer from this. It must be costing them a fortune!!

Sadly as my '8 is now out of warranty (and the bubbles have started) it is now my problem and the only solution is to get the alloys refurbed (or lash out several hunderd pounds on a new set of aftermarket alloys).

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Rob

Old 10-07-2008, 02:39 PM

I thought I would bump this topic back upo to page 1, as lots of us must be approaching the end of the warranty period, and this seems to be a common problem.

I had four nice new shiny wheels fitted yesterday, without any need for discussion - the dealer (RRG in Stockport), took one look and agreed they were faulty. In my case it was barely noticable blistering around the central Mazda logo cap.

I recommend you allcheck yours soon.

Dave.[sm=goodidea.gif]

Old 10-07-2008, 03:26 PM

I'll see if Windows comes with something that will resize photos.
Irfanview is great free software for this kinda of thing very easy to use

Old 10-07-2008, 03:42 PM
Super Moderator

GREAT David!!
Mazdas wheel supplier does seem to have this problem.I know of several Mazda3's in the same boat and some that had them replaced under warranty, no questions asked.

Old 11-17-2008, 05:10 PM

Hi all..
I too are getting pitting on my wheels but unfortunatley my wife as just scuffed the rim on one of the wheels so would mazda not replace the wheels now this as happend or would they my 5 is only 12 months old with 4200 miles on clock..

Quick Reply: CHECK ALLOYS FOR SLIGHT FAULTS